Re training as an Electrical engineer???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can someone give me some advice.
After 14 years in the packaging industry I feel its time for a change and would like to start training to become an electrical engineer.
I'm 31 with no knowledge or history in the subject but after 14 years working with multi million pound machinery and robots I do have some understanding of what is required.
Can someone point me in the direction of what I need to do? Searching the web for courses is a minefield!!!!
My company who are always short on sparks have indicated they may be willing to help. any courses I'd do would have to run alongside my 37 hour nightshift.
Thanks in advance, Allan

Sponsored Links
Ask at your local college of further education( if such a thing still exists)

Why not ask your companie's HR (Human Recources, Personnell) department .
If they are any good then they should have all local college courses at hand.

Been to my local college but no joy. Basket weaving. YES, evening electrical courses no. Joke.
I'll keep digging
Cheers
Al

Sponsored Links
Do you actually mean Electrical Engineer or Electrician?There is a difference, although the signwriting on some van's may lead you to think otherwise.

Engineer. From what i can gather its 2 years to become an electrician and then a further 2 years from there to qualify as an electrical engineer?
cheers

Electricl Engineer usually means you need a Degree. I studied Electrical Engineering whilst working with a cable manufacturer I did ONC (2 years) then HNC (2 years) then the HND (1 year) all on day release 5 years of horrible slog and I still cant really call myself an Electrical Engineer :(

Allmoo said:
Engineer. From what i can gather its 2 years to become an electrician and then a further 2 years from there to qualify as an electrical engineer?
cheers

Becoming an Electrican first is not necessarlly a pre-requisite of becoming an Electrical Engineer (although the background could prove useful)
An Electrician will generally install equipment, fault find and design to a certain degree.An Engineer could be involved in power distribution. large industrial plants, designing machinery, control gear.
Although some very good electricans I know can do a lot of this also ;)
Generally Electricians are qualified to City + Guild level or equivalent.
Engineers tend to have HNC/HND quals. or above for them to have the 'recognised' right to use the title 'Engineer'

2 years to become an electrician, i would like to know how you figure that one out, took me 4 years to do my aprenticeship (should have been 5)

breezer said:
2 years to become an electrician, i would like to know how you figure that one out, took me 4 years to do my aprenticeship (should have been 5)
yep 5 yrs here

2381 in sixty minutes is the minimum.

Or 10 minutes in B&Qs tool aisle for some! :LOL:

Plus an hour at the van signwriting place ordering some fancy wording!!!

RobFurn said:
Electricl Engineer usually means you need a Degree. I studied Electrical Engineering whilst working with a cable manufacturer I did ONC (2 years) then HNC (2 years) then the HND (1 year) all on day release 5 years of horrible slog and I still cant really call myself an Electrical Engineer :(
I would have thought with those quals. you could have registered with the institute, so that you could have legitamately called yourself an eng.(but why would you wnat to do that?) :)

Most electrical engineers should register with an institute, maybe just not the institute! To be fair, that's harsh, its the consultants that are all mental!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back