Training to be a electrician(Help and advice would be great)

Hi,

I have been reading all the feedback's, which have been brilliant. Thank you very much for everyone's comments.

Sorry I haven't reply to everyone, it's just I work shift work and long hours. I will pop on tomorrow and put any updates I have on here.

Thank you

Jimmy

Sponsored Links
Generally college courses start in and around September, some do do April starts. But you need to be doing two things, firstly. Make contact with City and Guilds and see what course is most suitable for you to start on and then progress from and also contact local colleges to see what courses they offer.
You may find that the closet or second or third etc... college to your location offers a suitable course, so be prepared to travel!
I would suggest doing a part-time evening course, usually two evenings a week, 3 hour per evening. In my experience in the first year is split in to one evening practical and one evening theory. then second and third years are more theory based, even though more practical examinations will be taken.
In the meantime, if you need to brush up on your mathematics, do so.
The qualification to become an electrician is undergoing a revamp for September 2011(July 2012). Gone are the traditional technical certificate (C&G 2330) and the NVQ Level 3 (C&G 2356) to create a combined qualification called the C&G 2357 NVQ Diploma in Electrotechnology. The qualification will be studied at level 3. There is currently no replacement for the 2330 Level 2 or any electrical qualification planned at this level. The new level 3 qualification consists of 9 knowledge based units, 7 performance based (practical skills) and the AM2 practical competency assessment.

Entry Requirements:
· A pre - entry task must be completed to a high standard. You must be employed as an Electrical Apprentice.
· You should be at least 16 years old and have completed a general education to GCSE level. You need a minimum of 3 GCSEs at grade 'C' or above in English, Mathematics and Science.

look for info here on course

Generally college courses start in and around September, some do do April starts. But you need to be doing two things, firstly. Make contact with City and Guilds and see what course is most suitable for you to start on and then progress from and also contact local colleges to see what courses they offer.
You may find that the closet or second or third etc... college to your location offers a suitable course, so be prepared to travel!
I would suggest doing a part-time evening course, usually two evenings a week, 3 hour per evening. In my experience in the first year is split in to one evening practical and one evening theory. then second and third years are more theory based, even though more practical examinations will be taken.
In the meantime, if you need to brush up on your mathematics, do so.
The qualification to become an electrician is undergoing a revamp for September 2011(July 2012). Gone are the traditional technical certificate (C&G 2330) and the NVQ Level 3 (C&G 2356) to create a combined qualification called the C&G 2357 NVQ Diploma in Electrotechnology. The qualification will be studied at level 3. There is currently no replacement for the 2330 Level 2 or any electrical qualification planned at this level. The new level 3 qualification consists of 9 knowledge based units, 7 performance based (practical skills) and the AM2 practical competency assessment.

Entry Requirements:
· A pre - entry task must be completed to a high standard. You must be employed as an Electrical Apprentice.
· You should be at least 16 years old and have completed a general education to GCSE level. You need a minimum of 3 GCSEs at grade 'C' or above in English, Mathematics and Science.

look for info here on course

:D ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back