so who wants to be a domestic electrician?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all...I was just wondering what the quickest way would be for someone who works full time to train to become a competant domestic electrician? I see lots of course for Part P (usually 5 days) but the more official courses (such as city and guilds) are spread over a number of years. I totally appreciate there is lots involved and quick is not always best, but I keep hearing about national shortages of skilled tradespersons and yet it seams so hard to re-direct. As im 33 I cant get on an apprenticship and with a mortgage and young family I cant really afford to take too long off of work...im a very practical person and I do take a lot of pride in the electrical work that I do (around my home) and I know that with the right training I will make a good electrician....I'd really like to make the swap from a stressful IT environment and a self employed domestic electrician does sound very appealing. If there are any electricians out there who are reading this, I'd really appreciate some advice....I'm sure there is plenty of work for us all!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
thanks for the constructive feed back....its nice to know there are so many helpful people out there.

There's apparently a national shortage of midwives and NHS dentists. Not sure about a shortage of electricians. I've never experienced it.

Always a shortage of subbie sparkies in York and surrounding areas, even more so when the olympic stuff kicks off, one thing good there tho. . .Im never outta work and i can pick and choose my job, with contracting if you dont like it you move on.
Having said that subbies often get bad press as for every good subbie there are probably 3 bad ones. . Me ? Im a good subbie as my regular clients and agencies will tell you :)

thanks for the constructive feed back....its nice to know there are so many helpful people out there.
If you require a more constructive answer then why don't you bother to search the topic on the forums. It is a question that is asked so often on a site intended to help diyers. If you cannot be bothered to look then I do not think you have much chance of making the grade no matter how high your opinion of your own abilities.

...it's a differnt type of stress, especially if you are working for yourself as an electrician. But if office work is getting to you it's worth a try. You will need to stick with it a couple of years to get qualified though. It's taken me 2 years, 2 nights per week.
Year one:
C&G 2330 level 1 and 2 (this is called a 'fast-track' at my college).
16th or 17th regs
Cost around £600 for all
Year two:
2330 level 3
2391 inspection and test - (planned for this June for me)

Level 3 cost around £500. 2391 cost TBC

Some people say Part P is not required if qualified as above.

After that, I reckon £500 for test equipment and £500 to join NICEIC or similar. Total: 2 years and £2100-2500.
If you are good at the practical side of things, the science is fairly easy (especially if you are good at maths).

XALEX - Thanks for your message...appreciate your input....looks like college part time for me then. I did look into the OLCI, they offer a home study C&G 2330 but the cost is in excess of £5000...what a joke.

JJ4091 - Yet another constructive piece of advice!...thanks dude.

...no problem. I have worked in purchasing for 15 years. After being made redundant 5 times I decided to do something completely different as a contingency. I'm still in purchasing but will soon be able to fall back on electrical work if i get fed up or made redundant again. 2 nights per week can be a pain if you have kids, but the way i looked at it was that at least if i do the training I will have other options in 2-3 years. If i do not train, nothing will change. Some electricians would have you beleive that it is a 'black art', but it's just like anything else: the more you do, the better you get at it. Qualifying is half of becoming 'competant', the other half is experience. But you can get this while you are training and pick and choose smaller jobs thereafter while you are still in IT. Just don't look upon it as a race.

Domestic stuff is pretty much more stressful nowadays, you get everyone wanting work done yesterday, you feel guilty about quoting them for a job even though youre under-cutting yourself as someone else will always be able to do it cheaper.

Dealing with general public can be a pain too, on the other hand theres always plenty of industrial jobs going about.

Or you may wish to look a bit higher up the scale than normal electrical work, and consider becoming a 'craft trainee' with your regional electricity company (electricity board lol) i think its edf energy in your area, not 100% sure until i look on a transmission map. You can start training at any age unlike apprentices. Very interesting work right the way upto 132kV and definately 100% job security. Pretty much decent pay right from when you start training.

repling to your blog, Part P comes in different stages?

An electrician has to be fully qualified before registering has part P hence years of training, the smal day courses will limit what you can do, dont be fooled.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back