Re-using breeze block to rebuild garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a garage built of rendered breeze block with a slate roof, overall size is 18 x 10 feet approximately. It is not in the ideal place and I am thinking of rebuilding it about 30 feet away. My questions is, will it be possible to reuse the breeze blocks or will it be just as cheap to knock it down and buy new ones? The roof, electric door, window etc will all be re-used, the garage was only built about 2 years ago so is in excellent condition.

Given it cost about £10k to build from scratch, any ideas as a % what it would cost to move (won't have to buy roof, doors etc but will need new foundation plus labour to dismantle and rebuild, render etc )

Thanks for any thoughts.

Phil

Sponsored Links
personally i dont think reusing the blocks is a viable option and about 90-95%

Re-using rendered blocks? Are you mad? :eek: :LOL:

Buy some new ones, it will be far less painful. ;)

if you don't mind taking the time to drill out the motrar between blocks and th time to remove all the mortar and render from the blocks then it's do-able, but it's going to be a lot easier to use new ones..
hunt around and you may be able to aquire a suitable quantity of blocks from the bigger building sites that are nearing completion or other places.. ( it's cheaper to just dump half open pallets of blocks and timber etc than it is to transport it or store it for the next job )

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the feedback, I thought that reusing the block may be more trouble than it is worth!

From a cost perspective it looks like any savings from already having the roof, door, window etc will be eaten up by the labour costs for dismantling, new foundations and rebuilding.

Perhaps it is not in such a bad place after all.......!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back