Re varnishing bedroom wardrobe doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would like advice on the above please. I would like to re varnish 4 already clear varnished doors as the sheen as over the last 10 years, has lost its shine. What is the best clear varnish to use and could I use a sponge roller to apply it. I am not a fan of quick drying paint and not sure if clear varnish comes in that format. Finally, what is the actual process I should follow. Greatly appreciate any guidance/help. Graham Turner

Sponsored Links
I would probably opt for a clear polyurethane varnish but be advised that that they do a slight yellowing effect. Waterbased (quick dry) varnishes do not yellow but IMO the finish isn't as glossy.

Lightly sand the wood with 180 grit silicon carbide paper. Dust off and apply one or two coats of varnish. I prefer mohair type rollers over sponge, I find that sponge rollers can leave bubbles in the finish.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/harris-trade-gloss-mini-roller-sleeves-multipurpose-4-x-24mm-5-pack/5519x

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back