re-velux roof window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, can anyone please tell me if planning permission is needed to instal aVelux window in the roof of a bungalow ?
Also, a ballpark figure of installing one by good roofer.?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Providing you have your permitted development rights intact and the rooflight is serving a ground floor room then there are no restrictions. If you mean the velux will be serving the loft space then subject to having PD rights the restrictions depends on whether it is on a front/rear or side elevation. Side facing upper storey windows must be all obscure glazed and also unopenable below a certain height (can't be arsed to check GPDO at the mo but something like 1.7m) above floor level.

A liitle more info will help confirm.

Hope that helps.

Providing you have your permitted development rights intact and the rooflight is serving a ground floor room then there are no restrictions. If you mean the velux will be serving the loft space then subject to having PD rights the restrictions depends on whether it is on a front/rear or side elevation. Side facing upper storey windows must be all obscure glazed and also unopenable below a certain height (can't be a***d to check GPDO at the mo but something like 1.7m) above floor level.

A liitle more info will help confirm.

Hope that helps.
Hi Architexter, thanks for your reply.
It,s for my son.He,s having the loft of his link detached bungalow boarded all out and loft ladders fitted for extra space, . I suggested a Velux, so he would have an extra room, as it,s quite high and make it more usable.
His bungalow roof has several aspects, but could choose one, not overlooking next door, and at the rear.I just looked on Velux( swivel) starting at £250 upwards,
The inside of the roof isn,t lined yet, only just been re-insulated and cavity filled.
He just wants extra usable space, without doing a full loft conversion.
Hope this isn,t too vague,I,ve only just talked to him now about it ,so, I said I,d find some info for him.

Planning is not required for roof windows I believe, you will however need Building Control.

This company have an online quote system should give you a ballpark figure.

http://www.loftsolutions.co.uk/

We had one put in about 3 years ago, I got the window off ebay for £100 and my roofer fitted it for £150. I had to put right the inside (plaster board etc)

Sponsored Links
If its rear elevation then you should be fine in planning if you have PD rights.

...only just been re-insulated and cavity filled.

Make sure your roof void is adequately ventilated, do you have a breather membrane?
I'd have talked you out of the cavity fill but whats done is done, let the mould problems begin!

If its rear elevation then you should be fine in planning if you have PD rights.

...only just been re-insulated and cavity filled.

Make sure your roof void is adequately ventilated, do you have a breather membrane?
I'd have talked you out of the cavity fill but whats done is done, let the mould problems begin!
Hi, I did mention it, but, at 49, my Son decided to have the cavity done, I,m not a lover of it, but, got random stone anyway.It was free for him.energy company did it.
he has a rear elevation, over looking his garden, bungalows all round him,so, should be ok? I doubt he has BM, it,s 60,s bungalow, so, would be just ordinary felt under the tiles.like all kids, do things backwards, just had all ridge redone, he should have put, a couple of vented ones in;
Pd?? is that building regs, or just the ok from council? OR Plans?

60s bungalow will more than likely have no restrictins on their Permitted Development Rights.
More info on PD on planning portal if required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back