read and side extension permissions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on extending the back of my house - Around 6 foot (less than 3m) into the garden and around 4 foot into the side redundant alley.

This will involve knocking out 1 single brick internal wall and two main walls - the back wall of the house and side wall of the rear room.

Would I require any permissions with the work I require and roughly how much would it cost to get the work done?

Sponsored Links
For an overview of Permitted Development (ie what you can do without having to apply for Planning Permission) refer to http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions/ you will need to check with your council's planning department that your house has not had any PD rights removed as occasionally can happen.

Costs will be around £1000 per m2 for a basic finished shell ie a fitted kitchen for example would be extra. Any structural work (like your holes in the walls) and professional fees on top.

Here's the thing though (although it may not be what you want to do anyway) you can do the side extension and you can do the rear extension under PD see page 27 of this document: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/100806_PDforhouseholders_TechnicalGuidance.pdf

But you can't fill in the corner between the two extensions as page 26 of the same document.

Thank you for your in depth response.

Is there anyway around filling the 2 corners?
When we had our builder down and we told/showed him our projected plans, he stated it would be fine to commence with only building regs and no need for planning permission?

You cannot fill in the corner without planning permission unless (bizarre as it may sound) there is a gap between the two. But this generally leads to a bit of a dumb layout internally so probably a no go. Your builder is miss-informed at best.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your in depth response.

Is there anyway around filling the 2 corners?
When we had our builder down and we told/showed him our projected plans, he stated it would be fine to commence with only building regs and no need for planning permission?

Good old builders :rolleyes: Similarly to how they think or for some reason "know" you can convert your garage without (at least checking you need) a planning application :confused:

I think I am going to proceed with planning permission for filling in the corner however not sure how to go about it?

Should I get an architect or is it pretty simple to draw it up myself?
If I could do it, do you have any pre-plans for examples please?

Many Thanks

You can go to an architect, but you will end up paying more in fees. You ideally want to look for an architectural designer / technologist who can put together existing and proposed plans for you.

The good thing is that you can take these plans to the council BEFORE an application is made and you can speak with an officer about the liklihood of the proposal being approved.

As an architectural designer myself I wouldn't suggest that you try to put together drawings yourself. The drawings need to be accurate and to scale, and should include accurate elevations as well as plans. Depending on the building and site, you may also require a section.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back