Reading an electrical diagram and connecting wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been trying to wire up a pump box using diagram in photo. Is the red arrow for on off switch?

Are black arries where a black wire goes over red wire for example with semi circle. Does that just mean not connected and jumping over that other wire?

With photo of wires. I used different thicknesses of wires and different coloured crimps. I mixed up the different coloured crimps as well. Used piggy back crimps for three way branches. Have found that the wire is too thick for some crimps. Others are too tight when slotted into each other so when I pull them apart the wire pulls out.

Any tips ?
20191201_132420.jpg
20191202_095500.jpg

Sponsored Links
upload_2019-12-2_10-49-27.png
Means there is NO connection between the two wires.

Yes the red arrow is pointing to the main switch but note that the main switch does NOT affect the charge socket, that is permanently connected to the battery.

And what are the coils of wire for

upload_2019-12-2_10-53-46.png

Use insulated ternminal blocks instead of naked spade type connectors

TLCON15.JPG

You need uninsulated crimp pliers to fit the relay base
0-729-01_1.jpg
0-729-01 Durite for example having that type of relay without a base it is so easy for terminals to bend and cause a short, a simple block connector will make the wiring easier and tidier
91532_P
red and black wires do not connect together in the diagram the half circuit shows jumping over, it seems as if you are duplicating on controls, the pump controller is doing same job as the pressure switch, reducing the pressure on the pump controller could cause chattering of the system. Not sure what the idea is, maybe better if you said what you are trying to do.

Sponsored Links
Keitai,
In what manner is this not working for you?

I ask as this will help diagnostics.

And an item to double check is that I notice that:
- the diagram shows the Right Hand side of the Controller connecting to the power Supply,
but
- your photo shows the Left hand side of the Controller (via its Red and Black wires) connected to the power Supply.

SFK

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what does the controller do ? It seems the pump is (or can be) controlled by the pressure switch.

Out of curiosity, what does the controller do ? It seems the pump is (or can be) controlled by the pressure switch.

Want to make the relay control the pressure switch to stop it from breaking

You need uninsulated crimp pliers to fit the relay base
0-729-01_1.jpg
0-729-01 Durite for example having that type of relay without a base it is so easy for terminals to bend and cause a short, a simple block connector will make the wiring easier and tidier
91532_P
red and black wires do not connect together in the diagram the half circuit shows jumping over, it seems as if you are duplicating on controls, the pump controller is doing same job as the pressure switch, reducing the pressure on the pump controller could cause chattering of the system. Not sure what the idea is, maybe better if you said what you are trying to do.

I previously just connected the controller and power and pump together but have incorporated the relay to protect the pumps pressure switch and extend its life

The relay acts like an amplifier. The pressure switch just needs to switch the small current needed by the relay coil, the relay contacts switch the heavy current of the motor. I don't see what the controller is doing.
BTW, a diode across the relay coil will help the pressure switch contacts. On a DC circuit, a diode can be used to divert the energy from the coil that would normally cause arcing across the switch contacts. It's connected so it's reverse biased (off) when the relay coil is powered.

The controller turns it all on and regulates how vigorously the pump is working

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back