Trying to wire up a touch dimmer and pull switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone advise, I have looked through loads of questions but can't seem to find a situation the same as mine. The pull switch is up and working. When I moved in there was no switch just wires in terminal blocks so I have no idea what wires went where. I have a thick black wire and a red wire joined together. A single black wire. A single red wire. Two green wires. I know the two green wires are earth so no problem there. The dimmer has only 3 connection points, an l, a wavy line and an earth. I have tried joining the single red wire with the thick black and red in both the wavy line and the L connection and visa versa with the single black wire. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong. I hope someone can understand this as I have spent 2 hours trying all different combinations.
Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
Hi and welcome to the forums. If I read this correctly, you currently have a pull switch and wish to add a dimmer to the circuit? The wires you describe are at the light fitting end. From what you describe.
  • The red and the black connected together. This will be the permanent feed (Red) connecting to the black going to the switch
    The other red is the live return from the switch going to the live connection of the fitting.
    The other black is the neutral connecting to the neutral of the fitting.
    The greens will be the earth.

To add a dimmer and keep the pull cord, you will need to wire it as a 2-way circuit. Have a look at this page on the Wiki clicky

THE DIMMER SWITCH IS ONE WAY!!!!!!

IE. You need a new one, a two way one. ;)

Sponsored Links
The wires I described are all at the light switch, will get a two way dimmer and check out the wiring diagrams, and hopefully suss out what goes where, thanks both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back