Real wood v's Engineered

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm laying a bedroom floor straight onto the joists.
Although I can work out why hardwood is better than softwood I can't see what the advantages/disadvantages are between real wood and engineered boards except that engineered boards don't expand as much.

What are the reasons for choosing one over the other?

As the floor is in a small bedroom and should get much wear & tear should I go for the far cheaper softwood?

Sponsored Links
In fact you've said it all :D
Wood-Engineered boards don't expand as much as solid wood can. That's the reason why we recommend Wood-Engineered in more moist areas (kitchens, utility rooms, bathrooms) or where the temperature can change rapidly (conservatories) or where underfloor heating is installed.

Other reasons could be (sometimes) the price: 3-strips are less expansive than most solid flooring and specially in small rooms look better (i.e. make the room look bigger, wider).

Personally I wouldn't go for softwood (if I read you last pine correctly you mean shouldn't get much wear and tear?) It dent's so easily and than will look awful, so in fact waste of (lesser) money.

OK thanks for the reply.

Just one more thing, is there a minimum depth of board I should be looking for? I've seen boards as thin as 14mm in the popular DIY stores are boards as thin as this supposed to go on top of existing flooring or would they be ok on their own?

'Standard' Wood-Engineered are 14mm thick, thickness of solid top layer can differ. Note: backing of Wood-engineered must me minimum twice the thickness of the top layer for stable construction (otherwise the top layer can bend the board).
For installing Wood-Engineered board directly onto joist you need at least a total thickness of 19mm.

Sponsored Links
Well I'm no expert, but would it not depend on the joist spacing, and what you use to get the 19mm thickness?. My gut feeling would be to go thicker due to the weight of furniture, and 'keep fit' activities- but I'm only trying to help- you gota do what you gota doo! :cool:

Bylough said:
Well I'm no expert, but would it not depend on the joist spacing, and what you use to get the 19mm thickness?.

You're quite right. The recommended joist spacing is 30 - 35 cm heart to heart. Then you can use the minimum thickness of 19mm. If the joist are wider apart (like in your case 40mm) you need a thicker board.
Since Wood-Engineered boards are more stabler than solid boards, some manufacturers now come with a load-bearing Wood-Engineered board. Ours are 21mm thick, with a 6mm solid top layer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back