Realistic build costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We are nearing completion on a bungalow that has a great garden but is maybe 30/40 square meters short of what we ideally want. That extra space would contain a sitting room, bedroom and shower room. The plan is that with a 75k budget we can add the extra space required but having some sleepless nights worrying whether this is actually realistic. Houses that tick all our boxes that are ready to move in to are all over our budget after 2 years of looking.
It's a difficult situation as until we buy the house we are limited in what planning we can do. Understandably builders don't want to commit to any cost until they see some plans and we have asked a few people who have had extensions done recently and the amounts don't seem to add up to anywhere near the 2k per sq meter that is banded around on the net.
Ideally, we would go into the loft which has its own issues as it only has 3inch joists currently an absolute head height above that joist of 240 (past the roof beam and to the absolute internal apex height. Having 47cm for load bearing joists and an insulated dormer roof is going to be tight and I would imagine expensive.
The other option is just build a 8x4 or 8x5 block on the back and some additional internal walls and doors to add corridor and a second bathroom next to the existing one to keep the drains simple. The existing kitchen is fine and we aren't going to go overboard with big bifolds but just a double door and a window onto the back.
The back does drop off slightly (50 cm at 5m out so it would have to be a suspended floor. There are no pipes under neath where the extension would go and the neighbour who is doing his own extension says the soil is on the clay side and is good for foundations.
We are in South Cheshire so builder costs I believe are a lot cheaper than the SE.
I realise all this is a little vague but any comments or examples of work you have had done and how much it cost would be so appreciated

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't discount the loft conversion- there are some clever new systems that could be used that could work in your situation.

As to the rest of the work- there are so many variables it really is impossible to give an anywhere near accurate price beyond the £2k/sqm you already have

Thanks for the reply Mikeey. Yeah, I understand its difficult to put a rough estimate on it. Even though its just a flat roof box I guess the groundworks are a guessing game.
Loft companies seem to think they can get the headroom but not sure how they do it. A case of squeezing every cm from the flat roof/insulation and joist depth. Maybe a steel to cut the roof span so can use 6inch joist and a cold roof. Not sure but 40cm for weight-bearing joists and an insulated flat roof seems very tight.

Sponsored Links
40cm for weight-bearing joists and an insulated flat roof seems very tight.
I'm no expert, but this seems doable to me, if you use more steel, and shallower timbers

In terms of the extension, its things like access, ground conditions etc that have such an impact on costs that make it difficult to guess accurately

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back