Wanting an extension - where do i start?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My knowledge of building is not all that extensive so looking for a bit of advice..

I have a dormer bungalow and wish to add an extension at the back (ideally around 6m wide by 4m deep), if possible, to have it the same height as the exisiting house to give some upstairs space as well as downstairs. From what i've looked at, we would need planning permission, as it would be over 3m deep (being 2 storey) and also, from what we would like to do, it would leave the pitch of the roof being steeper than the original.
My issue is that i don't really know where to go now and if what we'd like to do is feasible..

I have had work done on a previous house (taking out a wall and putting in an rsj) and started with a structural engineer (who i'd happily use again) and then gave his specs to a builder.

With this being much more complicated and some plans being required and also finding out what is an isnt possible in relation to our own plans. Could anyone advise the first steps we should be taking? Structural engineer, an architect (where do we find a decent one and how much would it cost?), builder to discuss our plans or a chat with the council building and/or planning dept?

Any advice on anything above would be much appreciated..

Cheers
Neil

Sponsored Links
Many thanks, these both link to the same thread but i think i have found the other one and both contain really useful stuff

So, judging from the info on the other 2 threads, i want to be doing something like the following...

Look at getting some plans drawn up for planning dept by an architectural technician (i'll see if the structural engineer i know could reccommend anyone), then get planning permission sorted.
Then get more detailed plans from same person (which i presume could be done at the same time as the first lot) and give them to building control and provide them to builders to quote from as they require more detailed plans to give accurate quotes?

On a slightly separate note to the above. Is it likely that having a slightly steeper pitch on the extension roof to the exisiting house roof would cause an issue to a planning application? - i'm aware it rules out a permitted development...

Thanks

This was the other thread I meant to link to: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1635935#1635935

No issues with anything written in your last thread. Though I would recommend you wait for your planning approval be approved before commencement of any Building Regs drawings.

Whilst it is essential that builders quote from Regs drawings rather than planning it is a risk (on your part financially) to get the regs drawings done before planning approval.

But a good technician will make that clear to you if you ask him and doesn't just want your money, if he's good!

There are some good threads about choosing a builder on here too eg
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1599295#1599295
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224309&start=0

Sponsored Links
Then get more detailed plans from same person (which i presume could be done at the same time as the first lot) and give them to building control and provide them to builders to quote from as they require more detailed plans to give accurate quotes?

Only if you go down the "full plans" route. You do also have the option of not drawing any plans for building control, and letting your competent builder crack on and build it right (under the watch and guidance of a building inspector) and then the inspector will check that what is done is compliant. This has a lower planning cost, but a potentially higher cost if the builder has got it wrong and remedial works are required. FT is right that having ore detailed plans can help builders provide quotes, and also provide you with a cast iron statement of "this is what I want, rectify deviations at your own expense" to the builder.. A lot of it depends how much your trust your builder's competence.

On a slightly separate note to the above. Is it likely that having a slightly steeper pitch on the extension roof to the exisiting house roof would cause an issue to a planning application? - i'm aware it rules out a permitted development...
The planning dept would likely want the extension to appear subservient to the main house. I've no idea whether your proposal achieves this, but you might

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back