?:Realwood Floors on Original Joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to rip up my badly damaged hall and dining room pine floor and replace with an ELKA prefinished oak floor. (The house is a 1920's)

The questions are:-

- Can I use the 18mm thick real wood boards to attach directly over the original joists in place of the 19mm original pine boards?

- Do I need to use a polythene backing to reduce chances of excess moisture in the subfloor affecting the boards?

- Should I nail and glue these odd sized boards?

Thanks in advance....

Sponsored Links
1st question: how far apart are the joists?
2nd question: how wide are your new boards?
3rd question: are the tongues of your new boards thick and wide enough to prevent splitting when (secret) nailing them onto the joist?

Hi,

Joists are around 40 to 45 cm apart.

Boards:-
Thickness  - 18mm
Width        - 80mm
Lengths     -  300mm - 1200mm  Random Mixed

Instructions on boards are for fixing via hidden nailing.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi pieface 99

Looking at your specifications I can advise you the following:
the width of the planks is very 'thin' but shouldn't really be a problem. Your joist are a bit further apart then normally wanted (between 30 - 35 heart-to-heart).
Anyway, you definitely can't can't use the shorter lengths. Any board should cover at least two joists for stability.

Is there any possibility you can leave the existing floorboards in place and install your new flooring on top of this, installed floating on a 2 - 3mm insulation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back