Rear access above ground level - permitted development? Photos !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'd appreciate some help.

I live in a semi. When I bought there was already a side extension which is permitted development. Our house is on a hill so the rear door is currently a single door and some steps down (behind the bush in this zoopla photo)
Screenshot_20230303_100630_Chrome.jpg

We'd like to change the rear door to double doors, which would require a bigger platform and steps down. However I can't find any rules about what would effectively be a raised deck.

Does anyone know where the heck we stand?

Sponsored Links
From memory raising anything above 300mm would possibly require Planning Permission but differs from place to place. Best check with your local Planning Dept. and enquire also whether it could be done under Permitted Development if you have not yet hit the max allowed.

you dont need a platform as such just a landing
basically the doors width and the depth off the stairs
as in landings need to be a minimum, a square the width off the stairs assuming the doors open out
so all you have to do is extend sideways to fit the doors, but don't overdo it as a veranda style area with say a seat to the side with both doors open will need permission [i think ]
in other words purely functional with no room for other functions or to dwell

The way your garden slopes puts you in one of the PD loopholes.
If the landing outside the back door is 300mm or less above ground level at the house end you can theoretically extend that landing all the way to your back fence at that level without requiring pp. Of course it would be an expensive abomination but it would be legal.
You could have a few square metres at that level (a sundeck if you like) but iirc any access to the garden would have to be near the house (otherwise steps in the staircase could be contentious as platforms more than 300mm agl- the change in height gives a new platform).

EDIT Apologies- garden area remaining becomes an issue as well (the area counted is pre-extension(

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
PD not applicable as the house has already been extended.
For such small work I'd be inclined to just do it

Not good enough info to say definitively, needs more info on the layout, original layout/extension/photos.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back