rear brakesnatch on ldv convoy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help drove my ldv convoy parked up went out to move the van and the rear brakes are snatching locking up rear wheel how to fix .

Sponsored Links
Time to get the rear brake drums off, and check for:
Contamination due to brake fluid
Linings delaminating from the brake shoe itself
Incorrect brake adjustment (if manual)
Severe ovality of the brake drums.
If the handbrake is a cable type, it will have a mechanical compensator that gives equal pull to each side. If it isn't greased it could be seizing on.
John :)

burnerman thanks for your reply tha van has been parked up as I am converting to campervan as I went to move the van I heard a loud bang brake fluid levels seem ok could a rear brake shoe return spring have broken if so can I get new oness

Aha a slightly different scenario, methinks......(anorak on) as brake shoes don't have asbestos in them anymore, they have loads of ferrous particles which obligingly rust onto the drum (or discs - they aint fussy).
When you move away, a nice clang tells you the rust seal has come away and you go merrily on your business.
The return springs will be fine and there probably won't be any more symptoms but at some time check the brakes over anyway. There could be a slight scraping noise as you drive and brake until the rust has disappeared.
A tip could be to park up in gear or chock the wheels - if you think this is safe.
Happy campervanning!
John :)

Sponsored Links
LDV Convoy Its a common fault for the rear brakes to stick on,i ran one for 6 yrs,if you keep the brakes well adjusted and clean this should not happen.
You can adjust them manually,using a standard screwdriver through the inspection holes in the brake back plate.no need to take the road wheels off but its best to disconnect the handbrake cables were they connect behind the brake back plate,then adjust then reconnect handbrake cables and adjust them if neccesary
good luck
tom

I would gently tap the brake drums and or back plate with a soft hammer (plank of wood) to encourage the brakes to free up, Then drive with the handbrake just applied to clean things up inside. Keep an eye on things, especially for heat them if needed, strip to clean as above.

Thanks to all who replied with advice spent the morning under the damn thing and released the adjusters off and then did them up to the drum and slackened off 7 clicks each side might be too much can someone advise how many clicks from full on to do .

Sponsored Links
Back