Rear Extension.Is this right or overkill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to extend my house rear by 15".Yes that's correct 15 inches.
The width will be 3 metres.There is going to be a sliding door for the whole width.The floor is raised so wish to continue this on blue engineering bricks with 2x4 joists.

The house is pre war era so not so deep footings.

Can I just dig the trench and pour foundations, and raise the extension wall with the wall plate starter kit.The sliding door will be hitting against this wall in a frame.Will this be strong enough.

How do i increase the strength of this wall.I wish to build it from concrete block 7n and render it from outside for weatherproofing. I have been told that I need steel frame so that the sliding door will not affect the wall as constant closing and opening of the door will weaken the wall.

My walls are soild 9" thick and neighbour wants me to build on my side of the boundary,so wall starter kit will need to start from middle of this wall.

Please advise..
Thanks for your inputs.

Sponsored Links
Will your new (15") wall be a cavity wall or solid?

If you are having - in effect - no return wall, the sliding doors could well damage the slender new wall. Structurally it won't make much difference whether it is built in brick or block

If you build it as a cavity wall, you could consider a wind-post within the cavity, but it would need to be well-fixed to the beam you put over the doors.

Google 'Ancon wind-posts' and you'll get an idea of what's involved.

Thanks. No its a solid wall. Will a pier at the end of wall add stability. The slider is not smooth, and when closing hits the frame with a bit of force.

Any other advice please for the solution.

Sponsored Links
Gutter outside. Thames water refused to build over. 15" is what i have,before hitting gutter wall. Already tried appealing but refusal.

Thanks. No its a solid wall. Will a pier at the end of wall add stability. The slider is not smooth, and when closing hits the frame with a bit of force.

Any other advice please for the solution.

As you suggest, build stiffening pier at the end.
Also, you could consider adding bed-joint reinforcement - might help a bit.

Well, so you can't go >15" (what's a gutter, BTW?).

But it seems odd that it's worth the expense & disruption to gain so little space.

^What he said^

Life's too short, spend the money on a holiday.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back