rear extension - need your opinion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to do a full width, single storey rear extension.

The architect came round and said I can only have 3metres max. But I have got a man-hole at approx 3metres so the architect said the council will either;
1) Give me more than 3 metres to escape the man-hole and have a full width extension
or
2) Give me more than 3 metres but I will have to do build away from my neighbours wall, see the image below;

What can x, y and z be?
Is there a 2:1 rule? so if I have exceeded 3metres by 1metre then z must be 2metres.
What are the other options?

Sponsored Links
To build beyond 3m you will have to make an application. I have doubts that it will be approved - but you won't know for sure until you apply.

The new Planning rules came into force in October 2008. They now allow you to build out to 3 metres on an attached building or 4 metres on a detached building. There are other limitaions under the permitted development rules such as a single storey extensions can't be more than 4 metres high. The best place to view all the current regs is on the governments Planning Portal web site. Click on this link:
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/hhg/houseguide.html
There also may be other Planning constraints in place. Many of the London boroughs have a limit on width of extension if it is close to a window in a neighbouring building. You will have to check that out with your Local Authority. Many LAs have what is called a Planning Surgery, where you can go along for free advice with a duty Planning officer. That could be a good first course of action.
Regards,
Nick

It depends if you're wanting to go down the Permitted Development route (providing your PD rights have not been removed) or you go in for a full planning application.

As already mentioned, there are limitations on what you can do under PD, e.g. extending 3m beyond the main wall of the original house.

However, is there not any scope to re-locate the manhole?

Sponsored Links
Manhole cannot be moved because the waste water pipe stretches for the entire street. This is fixed.

Does this mean I can only go 2.7m from my main wall? So I'm inline with my neighbour.

I want the most area if I'm going to be spending £20k+ on an extension!

Rajk. I don't think I mad it quite clear on my first post but the 3 metre limit is if you want to build without Planning approval (Permitted Development). So, why not just go for Planning and be done with it?

To build beyond 3m you will have to make an application. I have doubts that it will be approved - but you won't know for sure until you apply.

Raj, can't think of a simpler way to put it, but I post it again in case you missed it.

Another architect came round last night and said that on one side I can go over 3 metres but on the adjacent side I can only go inline with their extension. See the new sketch.

I'm going to make a planning application. See how it goes. Will let you guys know........ thanks.

So, there is another extension on the other side. Don't get confused with the permitted development rules and other planning constraints such as the 45 degree rule where there are adjacent windows.
See:

I'm a little confused. You came on here asking for advice, which was given but you already have or you now have an architect involved who has told you something slightly different in which you will be basing your planning application on?

Why didn't you just take their advice in the first place?

Maybe just a case of keep asking the question until you get the answer you want to hear :)

Another architect came round last night and said that on one side I can go over 3 metres but on the adjacent side I can only go inline with their extension. See the new sketch.

I'm going to make a planning application. See how it goes. Will let you guys know........ thanks.

If the architet is talking about PD rights he is wrong. If he is talking about planning permission he is in no position to say.

It's not going to change Raj. Rules is rules. You can build 3m under PD or make an application for 4m. There's no in between and no hidden trick that will allow you to get around it. Build 3m or make an application. Full stop.

The LA might look on your application favourably because of the drain but you won't know until you apply.

@ the end of the day you`ve got a manhole in your house - not something many buyers would want . :rolleyes:

It happens frequently though Nige and to be honest it doesn't put most people off. Always best though to try to get it outside of possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back