Rear Porch Between Kitchen and Garage - which regs apply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a single brick, monopitched roof garage running along most of the side of our 1920's semi. I am thinking about building a kind of "rear porch" at the rear end of the garage - a continuation of the garage shape, about 2m x 2.5m floor at garage floor level (150mm down from house) with a mostly glazed end (with door) but a single brick side, that will go beyond and thus enclose the backdoor from the kitchen.

Considered as a single story extension I believe this is permitted development and would not require planning permission, but building regs do clearly apply. However can anyone advise me which components of the building regs? It is not intended as a habitable room but as a "porch", the wheelie-bin will get pulled through it every week, the external door on the kitchen remains etc., I just want to stay dry on my way to the garage. But would it be generally considered that way by LABC? As a non habitable space I presume that insulation standards for the walls don't apply, single brick will be acceptable etc. Would such an addition be considered making the garage internal, thus need a firedoor, closer etc.

I would gladly have an informal chat with the local BCO, but they seem impossible to contact (the council don't want to give advice for free anymore) so I am hoping that the experts here can give me some clues what to expect before I submit for a building notice only to find I can't do what I thought.

Anyone experience with regs on a similar "rear porch" project?

Sponsored Links
You maybe getting a little confused with the conditions associated with PD & what constitutes a porch (outbuilding). As long there is an externally rated door between the “porch” & the main property & you don’t (or be careful how) you heat it, it’s still a porch. It doesn’t matter where it is attached to your property, if you meet the required criteria Building Regulations won’t apply. Problem is you’re exceeding the maximum size for a porch under PD rights so it will need Planning Permission. If you haven't already, have a read here;
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommonporch
You don’t want to go down the route of PD for an extension, the BR’s & cost will cripple you for what you’re trying to do. Also be careful, even as a porch you may still require BR’s, depending on your local conditions. There is another link to applicable BR’s on the Planning Portal link I posted so you can check if this will affect you.

Problem is you’re exceeding the maximum size for a porch under PD rights so it will need Planning Permission.
Unfortunately the size is dictated by the location of the existing doors and the route from kitchen to garage. So I will have to apply for planning for my big porch, but if given permission building regs probably won't apply. When the garage was rebuilt in the 80s it needed BR but not PP, I hoped my addition to an existing outbuilding would be the same. Given the opportunity the local planners are much tighter than the national guidelines, it is well worth avoiding them whenever possible. I have a horrible suspicion the planners will take one look at my plans for a big rear porch and say it is an extension anyway. :(

Perhaps I should not use the word "porch" for planning purposes. A single story extension of the same size and location would be permitted development without a doubt.
Richard C said:
You don’t want to go down the route of PD for an extension, the BR’s & cost will cripple you for what you’re trying to do.
Can I not separate assessment for planning rules from assessment for application of building regs? Perhaps that is silly, but I thought that they were separate things based on separate legislation, thus reasonable to apply them separately. Anyone know?

Sponsored Links
When the garage was rebuilt in the 80s it needed BR but not PP, I hoped my addition to an existing outbuilding would be the same.
I’ve no idea what Planning & B Regs were in the 80’s but I’m surprised to hear that, I would have expected it to be the other way around; things are generally much tighter now than they were then. Your also not extending an existing outbuilding, your extending your main residence to connect between the two; you may be able to call it a car port if you leave it open on at least 2 sides. :LOL:

Can I not separate assessment for planning rules from assessment for application of building regs? Perhaps that is silly, but I thought that they were separate things based on separate legislation, thus reasonable to apply them separately. Anyone know?
Planning & B Regs already are completely separate but you’re exceeding the maximum allowable size for a porch under PD rights. I believe the current size limit was only introduced around a couple of years ago &, IMO, is ridiculously small but opinions count for nothing; my own porch built in 2006 is over 5sq/m. You would not need BR’s once you have planning providing you meet the criteria which keeps a porch exempt; note that the regs for glass & electrics will still apply. I can see your logic regarding PD for an extension but if it’s classed as an extension, the Building Regs. could be far more onerous & as far as I’m aware, you can’t mix & match the regulations to suit your own requirements. I know you’re reluctant to contact planning but I think the only way you’re going to resolve this is to speak to them; you may get a result I just don’t know.

Or you could go ahead & just do it, hope that nobody “dobs” you in & it doesn’t get picked up when you come to sell but it is a gamble.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back