Reason for hole in crawl space?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a 30s property and have been under the floors recently to replace a rotten joist end. (Reason for leak found and fixed).

whist I was down there, I noticed an area quite damp. With the recent heavy rain, I’ve popped my head back down to find some small puddles.

Upon investigation, I’ve found a hole in the concrete floor . In one corner, there is a small hole which is clearly there intentionally as it has bricks surrounding it. A drain maybe? It would appear when the water level rises, water come up through this hole.

Before I simply fill it in. Does anybody think it’s a bad idea? As it’s clearly there for a reason, I don’t want to cause further issues but I can’t find anything online to suggest why it would exists.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I'd leave well alone it was obviously put there for a reason blocking it up might cause unseen problems ....try pouring water down it, listen ...does it drain away.

The bricks around it are probably to stop it getting blocked with debris in the old days !

What part of the country is it in, if Southwest, might be a Radon trap.

Hi. Sorry for slow response, not been able to get the flooring up with kids being in the house 24/7 last few months.

Attached a couple of pics. Since I’ve last been down, the area around the sink has become wet again. Looking inside there’s evidence of water. I’m fairly certain the water is coming up from the sink as there’s only earth inside it (driven a screwdriver down).

nothing like this anywhere else under the house. I’m thinking about covering up.

it’s a 30s house in Derbyshire.

thanks all
Adam

Attachments

• 5CEC9500-0144-43BC-BF22-085FDDB0FDD1.jpeg
    5CEC9500-0144-43BC-BF22-085FDDB0FDD1.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 100
  • A036ACEE-9216-4E39-825F-19893681C20B.jpeg
    A036ACEE-9216-4E39-825F-19893681C20B.jpeg
    478.8 KB · Views: 96
Must admit, I would be inclined to do some further exploration?

if it is ground water, and given this is the Summer and [supposed] to be dry what will happen in a wet winter?

I would carefully remove as much of the mud / dirt from this hole just to have a look?

Ken.

Sponsored Links
Back