Reassurance needed fitting bathroom basin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a plasterboard wall which I re-enforced with extra wooden noggins and a piece of 18mm ply nailed between them.

The wall is now decorated and it's time to fit the basin to the wall - and it's now I am having second thoughts about whether the wall will be strong enough

The basin is a 600mm wide beast which weighs a fair bit. It came with fischer bolts but I also bought large metal anchors (10mm) from local store

At the height I want to fit the basin I can't go into the noggins themselves - just the 18mm ply

So the question is should I go with the larger fischer bolts even though they are designed for solid walls - or trust the slightly smaller metal anchor bolts designed for the cavity wall to do the job

Really just looking for words of wisdom, experience and hopefully reassurance that the ply will do the job and which fixings to go with

Thanks

Rich

Sponsored Links
If the 18mm ply is secure the basin will be fine. I fitted one like this a few weeks ago and it is still there [I expect it to be there in 20 years mind you].

The only thing I did differently was secure the ply direct to vertical stud work (before being tiled over) and used two layers of ply to get a great hold on my fischer bolts.

apply mastic to the back of the basin and you'll have to knock the wall down around the basin to get it off. (Obviously screw it though, as well)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back