Rebalancing between two CUs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two 1991 MK consumer units, each with 12 used MCB slots. It is a big house, and when we bought it, there were three fuse boards, one for each floor.

One of the MK's has loading on it for a cooker (45A MCB, 6mm T&E), an immersion heater (32A MCB, 2.5mm T&E), heat pump (45A MCB, 6mm T&E) and lighting/socket ring mains (6A/32A). The other just has lighting and socket ring mains.

Intuitively I would like a better balance between the two units. Is there any benefit to (say) moving the immersion and/or heat pump on to the less loaded CU.

All CU and circuits appear to operate well.

Final question, can I free up a CU MCB position by using one MCB to serve more than one ring main - ie is that compliant/unwise. The upstairs sockets seldom get used - may be a fan heater occasionally.

Sponsored Links
In the main domestic supply is 60, 80, or 100 amp, and a consumer unit is rated 100 amp, when two are fitted from same domestic supply it really does not matter how the load is split, with a commercial split phase or three phase yes, but for most domestic does not matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back