Country
United Kingdom
I've got the following:
- Ancient Ideal Standard boiler
- Siemens (Landis & Staefa) RWB2E Programmer
Siemens_RWB2E.jpg

- Non-digital Honeywell thermostat
honeywell-t6360b-spdt-room-thermostat-00001361L.jpg

Siemens is located near the boiler and Honeywell in the living room.

In order to have the central heating ON, I should do the following:
- Have the boiler running
- Slide the "Heating" thing in Siemens to any option other than OFF
- Slide the "Hot Water" thing in Siemens to any option other than OFF
- Adjust the Honeywell thermo. to the desired temp.
This will make the hot water travel to all radiators :)

Now the weird part:
To get central heating, I don't need to slide the "Heating" slider in Siemens. I just leave it in the OFF position and adjust the desired temp. in the Honeywell and that is it :D

Now the weirdest part:
- Boiler is warming the hot water as normal
- Siemnes heating is OFF
- Siemens Hot Water is ON
- Honeywell thermo. is set to 15 degree so not to start the central heating
- All the house radiators are cold because I'm happy with the current temp
Except one upstairs radiator which is hot like hell and there is no way to shut down unless i shut its valve!!!

Any explanation please?

Sponsored Links
you may have the rad plumbed into the hw ciruit, some people with have towel rails on the hw circuit as they will be on all the time, they also act as a bypass on the system.

you may have the rad plumbed into the hw ciruit, some people with have towel rails on the hw circuit as they will be on all the time, they also act as a bypass on the system.
I'm sorry, but I can't understand the technical stuff you mentioned.

So if I get a plumber for that, do you know how much would it cost to fix that?

What carlsquires is saying is that it is not a fault, but a designed in feature. There are many experts on here who will give you a full explanation but in an older style system where you have Hot Water (HW) supplied by gravity and Central Heating (CH) supplied by a CH pump the bathroom radiator was typically plumbed into the HW circuit and thus it gets hot whenever the boiler was running, regardless of whether the CH is on or not.

This is normally done to the bathroom rad so you can dry towels etc all year round without having to have the CH on.

The bypass part means that the rad also acts as a 'safety feature' in that if the water in the HW circuit is getting too hot then the rad will allow heat to dissapate thus cooling the system down.

You could get the rad re-plumbed to be part of the CH systems like all other rads but that may involve other modifications to the system (zone valves etc). What you cannot do (if it is a bypass rad) is fit a Thermostatic Rad Valve (TRV) to the rad so you can run it at a lower temperature, or turn the rad down by closing off the rad valves. Again an expert on here will advise why.

Hope that helps you understand a little more?

Sponsored Links
What carlsquires is saying is that it is not a fault, but a designed in feature. There are many experts on here who will give you a full explanation but in an older style system where you have Hot Water (HW) supplied by gravity and Central Heating (CH) supplied by a CH pump the bathroom radiator was typically plumbed into the HW circuit and thus it gets hot whenever the boiler was running, regardless of whether the CH is on or not.

This is normally done to the bathroom rad so you can dry towels etc all year round without having to have the CH on.

The bypass part means that the rad also acts as a 'safety feature' in that if the water in the HW circuit is getting too hot then the rad will allow heat to dissapate thus cooling the system down.

You could get the rad re-plumbed to be part of the CH systems like all other rads but that may involve other modifications to the system (zone valves etc). What you cannot do (if it is a bypass rad) is fit a Thermostatic Rad Valve (TRV) to the rad so you can run it at a lower temperature, or turn the rad down by closing off the rad valves. Again an expert on here will advise why.

Hope that helps you understand a little more?

Thanks so much mate... nice and easy explain :)

I just want to say that the rad is not in the bathroom, it is in the bedroom.

I liked your advise about isntalling a thermo on the rad valv.

Is it possible to put that thermo to a single layer rad?
mine is somthing like this:
dpx2ex.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back