Rebuilding missing walls and replacing bay window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I have rather a challenging renovation task on my hands at the moment.
The property is a 1930s end terrace, last touched in the 70/80s. The previous owner had a fetish for taking walls out and has knocked out the wall between lounge and hallway and a knock through between lounge and dining room.
Both walls were brick supporting and had large wooden beams installed to take the weight above once the walls had been knocked through.
What I want to do is rebuild the walls with stud work but with thicker uprights of about 120mm.
Would I be in contravention of building regs by just leaving the current beams in place and then studding across the openning or would I need to get the walls rebuilt using concrete block?

Also, when first built, the house had a stone and brick built bay window with pitched slate roof. At some point the bay has been replaced with a full UPVC one with flat roof. I want to take this UPVC bay out and reinstate a brick/stone bay in line with the original. Will I need building regs. and building control inspection of this?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Building reg's will apply to all the above.

It is possible to build some structural walls from timber but they will need to be sheathed with plywood. The exact make-up of the walls will best be sorted out by a structural engineer.

Re-instating the bay will be classed as an extension and will need to meet current structural and thermal standards.

It is possible to build some structural walls from timber but they will need to be sheathed with plywood. The exact make-up of the walls will best be sorted out by a structural engineer.

Does that still apply even though I am leaving the original timber beam in which had been there for decades and just filling in underneath it with stud work?

You wouldn't be making any structural alterations... as the alterations have already been made with the pre-insertion of the timber beams so I can't see why you'd need to submit a Building Reg's application for that part of the works.

Sponsored Links

Does that still apply even though I am leaving the original timber beam in which had been there for decades and just filling in underneath it with stud work?

I suppose paying attention and reading the o.p. thoroughly helps.

I guess if the timber beams have previously been deemed adequate and they are showing no obvious signs of deflection then i suppose a regular stud wall below will be ok.

A bay is still controlled work however.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back