Recall of tumble dryers "upgraded"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At last Whirlpool have sort of admitted there maybe a problem with the tumble dryers they make and sell under various brand names.

http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...02/hotpoint,-indesit-and-creda-tumble-dryers/

They seemed to be very slow in dealing with the problem

Vice president of communications and public affairs for the corporation said:
Mr Noel added that consumers should be safe "if they follow the guidelines" of how to use the machines and didn't want to speculate on how consumers were correctly or incorrectly using the tumble dryers which had resulted in a fire.

To be fair some of the fires were due to the lint filter becoming over filled with fluff from clothes and some fires might have been prevented if the users had cleaned the lint filter more often. But that error by the users should have been taken account of in the design of the dryer.

Sponsored Links
Only up to a point.

Eg, with a car, what can you do if the owner/ driver does not top up the oil?

There is a danger with speeding that injury or death may result. How do you take that user error into account when designing the product?

Manufacturers have to give instruction and advise on how to operate the product and the maintenance measures required.

But if the operators ignore that, then what can the manufacturers do?

I have just bought one of the affected products, but TBH, I know it would be perfectly safe used as directed (ie remove the lint regularly).

It seems that machines are being modified to reduce the risks of them catching fire. It isn't ( yet ) clear whether this modification is to reduce the risk if the filter is not cleared or to reduce a risk that exists even when the filter is cleared after every use.

A sub-standard connector in the overheating sensor circuit has been mentioned as a contributory cause of some fire in dryers. The connector fails to a short circuit thus shorting out the over heat sensor and preventing from shutting off the heaters when overheating has started.

Sponsored Links
They seemed to be very slow in dealing with the problem

Slow isn't the word! I registered our Dryer on the 28th of November and was told a 5 week wait for an appointment.

Finally got an email of Hotpoint on the 6th of February saying that the repair would be carried out in JUNE!! No specific date as yet though.

It's God awful service and I personally will be pursuing the issue.

I understand that the appliance may be used but only while you are present and not sleeping so if I weren't to follow this advice then I would be liable should a fault occur.

The problem with that is we have two teenage children, me that works in a dirty environment most days and the other half. The kids are at school and we both work full time. You can imagine what the weekends are like too!! So how can I use this machine while following their advice following an issue that is their fault!

The way I see it at the moment is that I have an appliance that is not fit for purpose and I will not have had a usable machine for nigh on 8 months if completed in June which, to me, is entirely unacceptable.

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back