Recent boiler installation help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to all,

I have recently had a conventional open vented boiler replaced from an Ideal Elan to a Baxi Solo 15.

I am looking for an independent view on whether or not the problems i can see are actually problems before I chase up the installer to rectify.

The installation uncovered the problem of the original pipework flow and return being installed the wrong way around. This was picked up by the flow switch on the new baxi.

Consequently the flow pipework now has a series of elbows running from the top of the boiler a horizontal run (that is not level, running down) and another 90 bend up to the previous return; that is now the flow.

Problems have arose, such as air in the system.

The main install questions are

.Is the pipework safe being routed from the boiler with a series of bends and does this have any implications on the safety aspect of overheat etc?.

Condensing Pipe runs into washing machine trap?

Outside flue diameter casing being rubbed against by pipework?

Gas pipe has no isolation valve or I.D tape, rubs against boiler casing?

Sorry for the long winded post.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Well certainly not a happy customer.

Is this within your installation regs?

Happyplumber is a fella from Berkshire who occasionally posts on here , a true tradesman !

Agile & Happyplumber have had discussions ( shall we say !) :)

Only problem I can see is gas pipe too close to electric junction box.

Fitted quite a few Solo's and they are fokkers for air in the damn things until they have been ran for a day or two.

I am not at all sure that the flue elbow could be moved upwards enough to take it out for inspection or replacement.

Tony

Yes it could, slide pipe out of elbow, slacken screws, spin elbow towards yourself and lift out, these bends on Solo's dont go in very deep at all,
as lawrance said, whats the "real" problem, trying to wriggle out of payment or reduce agreed quote, sounds to me like the fitters has copped for someone else's cock up if the flow and returns were wrong way round on the old boiler.

Its not usually possible to get sufficient grip on the flue pipe from inside and to remove like that would need access to the outside.

No problem if ground floor but gets a bit difficult on the third floor!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back