RECENT C & G 2382 question

Meanwhile the assessment centre is glaring at you and tapping it's watch :D
Read the question twice; read the answers; read the question again; rule out the second two; check the book if required, (if confused because of table 54.8 note, read answers again, rule out D for gobbledygook). About a minute?

SgtTrojan wrote:
"C&G do not intend to get "electricians" to ponder over the "ins and outs", the "what ifs or maybes"."

Well maybe they should, they will certainly need to when they are doing electrical work.

Sponsored Links
I can't believe how difficult some of you are making this...

R

T

F

Q

F

F

S.

And - as Sarge says - move on. Just because you can't read very well, it doesn't mean you can't pass the exam.

Read the question twice; read the answers; read the question again; rule out the second two; check the book if required, (if confused because of table 54.8 note, read answers again, rule out D for gobbledygook). About a minute?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
He seemed to be agreeing that 'consult the DNO' would be a correct answer...
Oh no, he isn't.

Whatever, I think that everyone but dingbat agrees that it was a badly worded question. The mere existence of this complicated debate about grammar etc. (which is going to nothing to help my reputation in the eyes of some members of this forum!!) is surely enough to confirm that?!
Why is there even a debate?

If you read Sarge's helpful answer, where he concatenates the question and correct answer, you'll see that this question is entirely consistent with C & G's approach to this examination and there is no attempt to deceive. The answer, based on the question and answers actually posed (as distinct from your various rewritten versions) is clearly B.

He seemed to be agreeing that 'consult the DNO' would be a correct answer...
Oh no, he isn't.
Thanks for clarifying. In that case, I don't really understand your argument. Perhaps you could help me by explaining what you meant when you wrote:

The incorrect wording of answer d) when compared to the note to table 54.8 is the clue that this answer is the deliberate detractor. You're talking about consulting the DNO yet no such answer is offered up.
Why is there even a debate?
In many senses, the 'why'doesn't really matter. The mere fact that there is a debate, and differing opinions, (even though we all know exactly what 544.1.1 and Table 54.8 say) means that it is very far from an ideal question.

Kind Regards, John.

pc_Sgt.Trojan.png

I wave my knife when people get confused. It's helps them concentrate :D

Right then we are all agreed that the correct answer is D .
Good that's that cleared up then.
Thanks one and all.
:D

OK then, I'll tell yer what, I'll ask another geniune question I heard on the radio recently.
Nothing to do with electrics or wiring etc but I think it is the question that is wrong for not unsimilar reasons to the question we had here.

So here goes:-

"How many pennies in an old pound?"

Right then we are all agreed that the correct answer is D .
Good that's that cleared up then.
Thanks one and all. :D
One last try :) ......

I think it is extremely likely that answer B is the one they wanted.

That being the case, I really don’t think they should have included anything like answer D – and that would remain the case whether they worded it in terms of “the supply undertaking” (which they did), the “DNO” (which is what most people here talked about) or “Local distributor” (which are the actual words used in the note to Table 54.8 ). With any of those wordings, they have an answer which people can argue (as some have here) is correct. That makes it either a ‘bad’ question (since there can be debate about the correct answer) or a ‘trick question’ (dingbat described it as a ‘deliberate distractor’ – which is much the same!), which they really shouldn’t use.

Many exams, particularly in vocational subjects, are like this one in being totally based on the contents of a single set of regulations, a specified book, or whatever, and totally straightforward; with the book in front of you, answering the questions should therefore be totally straightforward.. In that situation, if a group of practitioners of the vocation/discipline concerned, with ‘the book’ in front of them, find themselves debating the correct answer, then I personally regard that as a pretty decisive demonstration that the question is far from ideal. It's not just a matter of making life less hassle for the examinees - poor questions are likely to have poor discrimination, and hence detract from the process of deciding who should pass the exam - which is what it's all about.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back