recently replaced immersion heater now doesn't work!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a kind plumber or sparky on here that could spare the time to give me a clue as to why our immersion heater in the hot water cylinder has packed up?

It was replaced 3 months ago. We run it 24 hrs leaving it to click in and out and its been fine since I fitted it. The 13A fuse in the wall switch is ok and the red light is on when the heater is switched on. Theres a stat strapped to the cylinder wall set at about 50. But, since this morning, no hot water and its now 6.30pm and I'm, starting get a bit worried what with kids in the house etc!

..........help :)

Sponsored Links
check the stat on the immersion may have tripped out.
remove the immersion cap and on the stat is a reset button.

you say you have a stat on the side of the cylinder.
is it not heated by a boiler as well?

if you have a multi meter check across the terminals inside the immersion end to check you have continuity. It is possible the stat element inside the immersion has gone......and as an outside possibility what type of immersion did you fit? There are 2 types...hard water and soft water types. If you fit a soft water into a hard water area they can be eroded very quickly.....3 months is VERY quick but.......if it's the stat element you can get a replacement for this alone. oh and unless the stat strapped to the cylinder is wired into the immersion it will do...er, nothing!!

had the cap off the top and can't see any reset switch - is it underneath the blue cap inside?

Not into things like multi meters, sorry :oops:

We don't use the boiler for hot water as theres something wrong with that side of the hot water system which we keep meaning to get fixed but havn't as yet!

RE hard/ soft water. I bought the element from a local plumbers mechants who are VERY good. I'm assuming they'd know the water situation round here and wouild therefore give me the right one. Can't assume this 100% though...

thanks for replies.

Sponsored Links
look at the stat you'll see a small hole about the size of a pin head.
push that in if you hear it click it had tripped.

and whats the blue cap?

ok, I removed the big black plastic cap (fixed on by brass dome head nut) then I could see all the terminals including a blue plastic fitment into which went two of the wires. The temp adjustment with the arrow on it is on the top of that blue cap. Couldn't see any trip or sign of a pin head hole. The make of the element appears to SHOL or SHAL.

I seem to be struggling here somewhat :rolleyes:

scrap the last post. I think the trip is an orange post thing between 2 terminals - I was able to push it in and heard a click. Waiting now to see if the water heats :)

edit The cylinders hissing now, so it seems to be working

Has anyone any idea why it would have tripped?

Many thanks for the advice - its been a great help... :D

factory setting with a sticker over it at 50 from memory

ok, when the waters heated up, I'll remove the cap and double check.
Thanks for all your help Seco :D

PS no card meter here btw

Has anyone any idea why it would have tripped?

These sometimes trip when people on a card meter let the leccy run out.

no they trip as a safety shut down when the water temperature has exceded the preset temp of the high limit.

by the way Im rather appalled at all this advice and no one said switch the power off first :eek:

and multimeters are not safe to use at mains voltages and currents, dont unless you want to blow your hand off.

Clearly the OH trip can have nothing to do with the electricity meter, this is rubbish.

Why on earth would one not use a multimeter on mains? Best tool for the job. How would you do your part P without one, or fault any controls for that matter?

And I'm not aware of anyone 'blowing their hands off' at 230v. 11Kv maybe.

I couldn't turn the power off as my son was watching Dr Who.

Only joking :LOL: It was ok advice for me as I know to turn stuff off in the fusebox etc first. But, its a good point I guess - some people surely might take the advice literally and stick a screwdriver onto a terminal :eek: :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back