Recessed bathroom light spacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to everybody on the DIY forum, my name is Wayne I'm new to this forum and would be very grateful if someone can help me. I've just purchased some of these light JCC JC94254 BRUSHED NICKEL

IP65 BATHROOM RATED DOWNLIGHT

FIRE RATED

COMES COMPLETE WITH THE PHILIPS MLED 7 WATT GU10 LED LAMP COOLWHITE

40,000 HOUR LAMP LIFE

GU10 CAP
Has anyone fitted these at all and if so how much spacing is between each light? My bathroom is 1.8 x2.9. I've bought 6 but was only planning to use 5 in the space I have please see below a bathroom plan I have tried doing. I was gonna place two above a 750x1700 bath then three more down the same wall where the toilet,sink and window is. The sixth light could come into play if required. Can someone advise

Sponsored Links
The rule of thumb I use for standard downlighting is:
No closer than 300mm, no further than 1200mm apart.
You are also dictated by the timbers above in ceiling and consideration must be taken to give a good even spread of light.
you also need to avoid fitting them close to timbers as this could become a potential fire risk, they must not be covered by thermal insulation as they require ventilation and the also the timber joist depth must be a suitable size to allow the fitting within the void with a separation gap between fitting and any above structure of at least 25mm os manufacturer recommends.
Also be aware that you cannot just hole or notch joists as you please for cable routing there are regulations in part A of the building regulations concerning this:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:route
There also requirements concerning buried cables in walls:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:walls

As it is a bathroom RCD protection will be required on at least the new part of the installation.

When installing the circuit, although the instruction may indicate no earth is required to fitting, do not snip off the earth, this must be kepted continuous through out the circuit, even if not terminated at the fitting.

And as much as I appreciated that Yorkshire is God's Own County, I think even God would allow you to post in the UK electrics section of the forums, rather than outside of the UK ;)
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=8
Welcome to the site!

Sponsored Links
Back