Recessed ceiling lights in bathroom ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm disabled & live in a rented bungalow.
I want to put recessed lighting in the bathroom (& eventually kitchen).

1/ The bathroom is 5-7" x 9-7". I'm guessing 4 units will suffice.

2/ The kitchen is about 15-6" x 6ft. I'm guessing 6/8 units will suffice.

Do I go for L.W,,,, or mains power ?
Should I look at LED, Halogen or flouro ?
Are 'wide angle' items preferable ?

As the attic is above both rooms, do I need anything above the units ?

Both initial costs and eventual running costs are a consideration. The landlord will pay some towards this, but I still need to do it as economical as possible.

all advice appreciated.

Thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
Adding 12 x bulbs at 50w isn't going to be eco from a running point of view.

I don't like ELV / low voltage run from transformers. Others do, but I dislike the extra component (the xformer) which could be an extra fail point in years to come.

Consider megaman 11w energy saver mains bulb units. Consider less lighting in kitchen and maybe under wall cabinet lighting to supplement ceiling light which may shadow at counter level.

The fittings tend to be a simple 75-80mm hole in the ceiling fabric, easy if plasterboard- harder if lath and plaster (due to laths).
Since there is no property above you there's no need for fire items, be they fittings or caps / hoods.

If you go the megaman route the angle beam is fixed, unlike GU 10's which have options on the bulb beam width, power and light type.

In the kitchen a 6ft wide area suggests galley style. So 600mm will be taken up on 1 wall with counter and appliances. Centring the light at mid point / 3 ft may cause counter shadows via the wall units.
Might be best to place 1/2 way across open floor area (so 2ft from clear wall).

Again, as per the other post your supplier / contractor will be the best one to finalise arrangements with- due to site 'views'

Thanks again Chri5,

The kitchen is 'bitty',,,, with sink / window / wall and floor cabinets along one wall and cooker / wall & floor cabinets / larder on the other with a central aisle. The ceiling is standard height and p.board. The internal door is at one end of the 'cooker' wall and the back access door is opposite this on the 'sink' wall.

Due to the positioning of the wall cabinets (which are almost up to the ceiling) the whole ceiling isn't available. I guess a sort of diamond configuration (6 units) might suit [four equidistant in the centre, with one at each end in the centre].
Or would just 4 items - in a similar diamond config - be adequate ?

Maybe 'wide angle' is not that important in a narrow kitchen,,,, or would it actually help ?

As an ex builder, the work will be carried out by my son & I before being checked over. Again, I am not familiar with this sort of stuff, as it wasn't around in my day.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Light positions tend to be personal, and only you will know what suits.

It would be 'nice' to have a non irregular pattern on lamps, but if the layout isn't suitable it becomes a exercise in design over function.

The diamond pattern you suggest would appear to be the best option,

Sponsored Links
CHRI5: thanks mate - You've been a great help

First: I'll go for 4 in the bathroom, to see just how much light they throw out,,, then I'll have a better idea about the kitchen.

STEVE: Yep, as I say, he dosn't mind,,, as long as it dosn't cost him too much.
He also trusts my workmanship implicitly as I used to do his building work in the past.
I’m adding a few – non essentials – for my own benefit, and at little cost for him. He's quick enough to pay for essentials when/if they arise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back