Recessed lights and insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to fit some recessed spots in one of the bedrooms (240v 50w). Obviouly above the ceiling there is loft insulation. Is it safe for the lights to protrude through into this? Would this not be a fire risk as the little buggers do get damn hot.

Cheers for info.

Sponsored Links
most loft insulation is non flamable, but even so you should clear around the lights

so a good 15cm radius clearing for each light should be plenty? I've read about people using upturned ceramic plant pots as a heat sheild? Any experience of this?

Sponsored Links
its not as a heat shield its to prevent breaching the building regs, breaching fire barrier (i think) all it does it look silly, keeps pot makers in buisiness and focus the light through the hole in the top.

you can get specialy designed fire hoods for the purpose, i think, they expand or something when they are exposed to fire. TLC direct sell them (other suppliers of fire hoods are available)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back