Recessed shelf in-between studs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am putting a recessed shelf in my bathroom andiand where I want it happens to be in the middle of three vertical stuff as per picture below

15913828529379202262782721184190.jpg

Does this make it complicated?

Would it be much easier installing between the studs and making shelf smaller width wise?

If so, to keep the depth what can I seal the back of the plasterboard with that's on the other side of stud walll?

The stud depth is only 7.5cm so I don't want to lose any space

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I would chop out the timber in the middle, to the height of your recess and put in two vertical pieces of timber attached to the studs to the left and right , which you can use for the top and bottom of your recess

As for back? I would use a thin sheet of ply attached to the back of your new timbers , then either paint or tile it

I would chop out the timber in the middle, to the height of your recess and put in two vertical pieces of timber attached to the studs to the left and right , which you can use for the top and bottom of your recess

As for back? I would use a thin sheet of ply attached to the back of your new timbers , then either paint or tile it

great thanks.
so once the vertical battens have been installed on the left and right vertical stud, i would also need to put timber horizontal across top and bottom also?

not going to be left with much room taking into account tiles and plasterboard also!

Sponsored Links
great thanks.
so once the vertical battens have been installed on the left and right vertical stud, i would also need to put timber horizontal across top and bottom also?

not going to be left with much room taking into account tiles and plasterboard also!

What do you need plasterboard for?

Chop middle vertical stud , install horizontal battens to the height you want attached to the left and right vertical studs, then attach vertical studs to give you the width you want the recess to be.

Use ply as the backer against the plasterboard , then either tile or paint

What do you need plasterboard for?

Chop middle vertical stud , install horizontal battens to the height you want attached to the left and right vertical studs, then attach vertical studs to give you the width you want the recess to be.

Use ply as the backer against the plasterboard , then either tile or paint

sorry i mean ply and tiles

Begin by adding horizontal noggings top and bottom, either side of the middle stud which will form the top and bottom of your alcove shelf (remember to allow for depth of whatever you are overboarding with as well as the depth of your final covering matetial). Next add vertical studwork if required to form the left and right side of your alcove, again remembering to allow for the extra depth like before. Once these are fixed solid cut the middle stud top and bottom to line up with your new top and bottom noggings. You will probably find the plasterboard on the other side of the studwork will be nailed to this piece of studwork. Gently remove this stud and you might get away without causing any damage to the other side, the nails will pull through the board but the skim on the other side may remain intact. Your alcove is now formed. If it's inside the shower or bath area then I'd overboard with a construction board such as Marmox, STS, Q-board etc as these are waterproof. If the alcove is in a non wet area then plasterboard will be fine. Here's a couple of recent pictures of something like this during and after to give you a bit of idea.

Attachments

• 20190621_170539.jpg
    20190621_170539.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 292
  • 20190705_100931.jpg
    20190705_100931.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 260
  • 20190719_101857.jpg
    20190719_101857.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 247
Just bear in mind that some bathroom noises are best left unheard.
If the bedroom is next door, a bathroom break could be a passion killer.

I once had an office in a badly designed building, the toilet was next door and I could hear everything.

Just bear in mind that some bathroom noises are best left unheard.
If the bedroom is next door, a bathroom break could be a passion killer.

I once had an office in a badly designed building, the toilet was next door and I could hear everything.

in that respect i'm ok as i am on my own

In that respect I'm also ok as I'm married with 2 teenage children.

just a thought
what is stopping you rotating through 90 degrees and just have high and narrow ??

just a thought
what is stopping you rotating through 90 degrees and just have high and narrow ??

that's a good point. How would I integrate a shelf into it? It it just a case of putting a 4x2 horizontal stud in and tiling onto it?

Rotating is a good idea
Also- depending on size and location, you could either make or buy a (ikea?) cupboard that fits into the space and has a mirror as a door? Open/close by pressing the mirror?

Glass shelves might also be nice as bathrooms get steamy then dusty .
It's easier to periodically remove a glass shelf and wash it than clean a fixed shelf.

Just never place anything on the shelf heavy enough to damage the shower base as it will eventually be dropped .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back