Can I easi-fill directly on to studwork?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Let me explain... I am recessing a TV between two studs in a partition wall, The tv is exactly the right width to fit between the studs so I can't fit any plasterboard on the sides.

I will use a corner bead to make a frame, this means easi-filling over plasterboard on the main wall (with scrim) up to the corner bead, but over stud work in the recess.

Should I just PVA the timber and scrim it or do I need to apply something else to the stud timber first so it doesn't take the moisture out of the easi-fill?

Let me know if this was badly explained and you need you need a picture!!

Sponsored Links
What are you doing for ventilation as a TV can throw out a lot of heat

Roger, you are taxing me with more issues!!

Seriously though, the recess is only 90mm deep, the tv is a smaller (kitchen size) LED TV and is 49mm deep, leaving 41mm air gap behind apart from the wall mount, and there will be at least 5mm around the edges for air to move in and out.

Apparently power consumption is only 25w when it is on. So am hoping will not get too hot. :cool:

EDIT: Hmmm, just checked the manual, I might be leaving a bit more space above and below in the recess!! Thanks Roger.

Anyone any thoughts on my making good problem?

PVA will be fine but you will need to increase the ventilation gap top and bottom otherwise it will overheat.

You can get ventilation grills in all shapes and sizes as well as colours so I'm sure that you would get something to suit and would blend in

Sponsored Links
Can't vent above or below in to the cavity easily, horizontal stud work was added at the time the wall was built and acoustic insulation was added in that gap anyway. Next room is the lounge which would not look good to have a vent in the middle of the wall.

Might buy a small temp gauge and try it.

Re PVA, anyone else any ideas?

I am sure I found a post on here that said filling directly on timber generally had a bad outcome?? Can't find it now though...

The timber can suck out the moisture to quickly as well as moving slightly
a couple of coats with the PVA will be fine for such a small area
Just let it all dry before switching on the telly else that will make it dry out too quickly as well

The timber can suck out the moisture to quickly as well as moving slightly
a couple of coats with the PVA will be fine for such a small area
Just let it all dry before switching on the telly else that will make it dry out too quickly as well

PVA 1 to 5 with water or so and 4 hours between coats?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back