Recessed spotlights in lath and plaster ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've searched but cant find an answer, is it possible to install recessed spotlights in a lath and plaster ceiling? If so how should I go about doing so?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Very carefully is the answer. The lathe and plaster has a horrible habit of crumbling away leaving you a hole too big to fit the light. Try not to snap the lathes, but once you have removed the circle of plaster from below, it's much easier to get access from above to cut them.
Make sure also that the 'wings' of your downlights go across the long side of a lathe, not the short cut ends.

Someone also told me the other day that it's 35W max lamps in lathe and plaster, but not sure if there is a reg about this!

Good luck and try not to swear too much!

SB

following on from what birdyspark said,

You need 'F' rated downlighers (suitable for fiting in a combustable material), but some manufacterers will make F marked fittings, but state that it only applies if a max of a 35w lamp is fitted, thus in this case, thats the max lamp you should fit (I always wonder how you are meant to stop someone fitting bigger lamps at a later date)

Adam (hates halogen downlighters)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, very useful. Sorry but I’m a little confused though are we saying I do need fire rated down lights as Adam said or I don’t like RF lighting said?

Also why do you hate halogen down lighters Adam?

There are two properties being confused here

'F' rated, or 'F' marked, so called becuased they get a 'F' in a shape embossed on the casing mean its suitable for mounting on a combustable surface.

Fire rated, as linked to by DESL, means it contains an integral firehood, which allows it to be installed in a surface forming a fire barrier, it doesn't stop the light setting fire to things, but stops a fire spreading through the hole its fitted in (most domestic houses are one 'fire zone' and don't need these - exception is atta attached garages) flats are a different story though

Thanks Adam - that's what was said about 35W max.

AdrianB - if you are fitting the 9W CFL's be aware that these cannot be dimmed.

SB (or BS??)

So F marked are 35w I was going to put 6 240v in a kitchen that measures 2.5 X 3.5 meters does this sound enough?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back