Recessing a double 13A socket behind TV

Reaction score
Guys

I need some advice. I want to hang my brand new slim tv flush (as can be) against the wall. Problem is that I have a double socket behind it and when I plug the tv in the protrusion of 2cm plug doesn’t allow my tv to sit flush.

Options considered:

1. Install a sync-box (SB POWER). Problem is it requires a 80mm back box. I’ll get into party wall issues if I knock my neighbours brick out into his living room. His wife will go nuts.

2. Hard wire the TV plug into a 13A pole with a fuse. Problem is I can’t find a way to convert a double socket to a single fused pole without using a dual box. Don’t fancy chiselling the new plaster.

Any ideas / advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Casa

Attachments

• iOS Image - 3158752906.jpg
    iOS Image - 3158752906.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 1,998
  • iOS Image - 870911140.jpg
    iOS Image - 870911140.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 575
Sponsored Links
Fit a single socket to the right of the tv.
Half behind tv and half exposed so you can activate switch.

Usually there is a boarder on the edge that a plug will just about sit behind.

The best I can think of is a grid system.

You could replace the double socket for a 3-gang grid plate. This is the same size as a double socket.

This 3-gang grid would comprise of one 20amp double pole switch module, one fuse module, and one flex outlet module.

The only possible problem would be the flex emerging out of the front of the plate.

Brilliant. I love it. I currently have a Hartland Cfx from Hamilton. This way I can hard wire it in.

The only question is that the socket is on a ring. Will this impact it.

Sponsored Links
Fit a single socket to the right of the tv.
Half behind tv and half exposed so you can activate switch.

Usually there is a boarder on the edge that a plug will just about sit behind.

Thanks Andy. I’m trying to avoid any plaster work. Really appreciate you taking time to reply.

Brilliant. I love it. I currently have a Hartland Cfx from Hamilton. This way I can hard wire it in.

No.

Wire both lives and both neutrals from the ring to the feed side of the switch.

On the load side of the switch, wire a 1.0 or 1.5mm2 blue wire to the neutral on the flex outlet.

On the load side of the switch there also needs to be a 1.0 or 1.5mm2 brown live wire to one side of the fuse module.

Then a final brown live wire from the other side of the fuse module to the flex outlet.

Connect tv cable to flex outlet.

Connect all earths properly. Ensure all metal work is earthed properly, including the TV in the VERY UNLIKELY possibility it needs earthing.

No.

Wire both lives and both neutrals from the ring to the feed side of the switch.

On the load side of the switch, wire a 1.0 or 1.5mm2 blue wire to the neutral on the flex outlet.

On the load side of the switch there also needs to be a 1.0 or 1.5mm2 brown live wire to one side of the fuse module.

Then a final brown live wire from the other side of the fuse module to the flex outlet.

Connect tv cable to flex outlet.

Connect all earths properly. Ensure all metal work is earthed properly, including the TV in the VERY UNLIKELY possibility it needs earthing.

Superstar! Legend! Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back