RECESSION ? not in west hampshire !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are doing a loft conversion and project manage it ourselfs but are finding it hard to get quotes for bricklaying, electrics ,and plumbing.There are lots of these trades around us but lot of them do not return tel.calls or bother to turn up having made appointment !!obviously too much work! most trades who turn up still want to be paid same as in the property boom .I do not see any recession here. Where are all these out of work trades? Not around here in south west hampshire!

Sponsored Links
finding it hard to get quotes for ,and plumbing. most trades who turn up still want to be paid same as in the property boom .!
Plumbing @ £200 a day plus lodgings in a nearby B+B No Gas :mrgreen: I`ll think about it

I heard Tesco dropped their prices after the last food boom :cool:

finding it hard to get quotes for ,and plumbing. most trades who turn up still want to be paid same as in the property boom .!
Plumbing @ £200 a day plus lodgings in a nearby B+B No Gas :mrgreen: I`ll think about it

I heard Tesco dropped their prices after the last food boom :cool:

£199.99 a day, except gas or electrics covered by Part P, + 4 star B&B. :mrgreen:

Oh and weekends off...

Sponsored Links
A "handyman" is not a trade, merely a labourer.

A "handyman" is not a trade, merely a labourer.

Lighten up mouse. :rolleyes:

Thatbloke will be along soon to thank you for that post, you can then thank him for his thanks, just like you do with your brother-in-law. :rolleyes:

We are doing a loft conversion and project manage it ourselfs but are finding it hard to get quotes for bricklaying, electrics ,and plumbing.There are lots of these trades around us but lot of them do not return tel.calls or bother to turn up having made appointment !!obviously too much work! most trades who turn up still want to be paid same as in the property boom .I do not see any recession here. Where are all these out of work trades? Not around here in south west hampshire!

project manage it yourself ?

Are u a builder ?property developer ? best buissness advice I ever received was never work for a builder ! or a property developer ! unless u want to work for free ( maybe ?)

No not property developer or builder it is our own home waited for this for last 13 years saving and saving and saving.
And no we are not paying peanuts to anybody but greed is rife ,most want cash ,I expect they do not want to pay tax .Cash fuels greed! Our hard earned cash ,no holidays for 13 years !
And no they do not do things cheap.

This is the story everywhere. There must be too much work around.

I phoned and arrange an appointment for a quote for a concrete driveway. The guy cancelled the first appointment because he was feeling unwell that day, which is fair enough. But he just didn't show the following week.
Neighbour was calling around for a waste pipe replacement, took her a while for someone to actually come and quote. Either there is too much work or some trades are charging too much to be too fussed about lost trade.

Call in some eastern europeans and get the job done quick and cheap and often better

most trades who turn up still want to be paid same as in the property boom.

This seems to be the crux of the issue, people are turning up and quoting, but you are unwilling to pay their rates.
Why should tradesman drop their prices cos of a recession? The price of utility bills, petrol, insurance, food goes up for them like it does anyone else.

Sponsored Links
Back