Rechargeable Battery For Clock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How I miss electric clocks!

We have a slew of clocks round the house and they used to run fine on non-rechargeable batteries.

Now we have swapped to rechargeables, they seem to conk out more frequently.

I have tried larger capacity batteries (the Ikea Ladda 2450), but the problem is still there.

Could it be the reduced voltage?

Sponsored Links
Yes! ;)
With a starting voltage of about 1.3V and a single AA battery in a clock, there won't be much tolerance.
Although the discharge curves of NiMH are relatively flat at 1.2V until about 20% charge remaining.
1.5V AA rechargeable LiPo's are starting to become available, although not yet from reputable suppliers! :)

EDIT:
As others have said, self discharge is more likely. Online research (take that as you will! :) ) Suggests some mechanism will run on 0.2V, when others will fail at 1.2V!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have tried larger capacity batteries (the Ikea Ladda 2450), but the problem is still there.

Could it be the reduced voltage?

In part it is that the fully charged voltage is a bit lower, so after a little use it drops below the threshold for working, but also rechargeable are not suited to long and slow discharges anyway.

2500 mAh don't seem to last long in a clock, but 700 mAh do, it depends if designed for high capacity or low self discharge.
That may explain why the higher capacity rechargeable batteries I bought for my DECT phone conk out even when the display shows full charge.
This happens most often when using speaker phone.

In part it is that the fully charged voltage is a bit lower, so after a little use it drops below the threshold for working, but also rechargeable are not suited to long and slow discharges anyway.
Cheers

I will order a pair of the white eneloop and if they aren't an improvement, I shall revert to standard 1.5V batteries.

Sorry for straying off-topic, but I bought a mains-powered mantel clock from a second-hand shop a few years ago. The same sort of thing which was common among our parents/grandparents many years ago. Having checked its condition and connections, it has worked perfectly ever since and, apart from power cuts, has never gone wrong.
Who would bother with battery-powered clocks? :LOL:

Lithium aa battery with last for years but cost a bit more.

Just thought I'd mention
With things like kitchen scales that use button cells I've converted to usb rechargeable which is easy if you like to tinker.

Sorry for straying off-topic, but I bought a mains-powered mantel clock from a second-hand shop a few years ago. The same sort of thing which was common among our parents/grandparents many years ago. Having checked its condition and connections, it has worked perfectly ever since and, apart from power cuts, has never gone wrong.
Who would bother with battery-powered clocks? :LOL:

Anyone who wanted to have a clock which didn't need to have a socket for it and a flex dangling from it, plus possibly someone who a clock which was kept accurate by MSF.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back