Recharging Megaflow air gap when below hot tap level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need to recharge the air gap. Unfortunately, the Megaflow is below ground level.
I think I know what to do but need some advice before I attempt it...

1. Turn cold water tap off to Megaflow.
2. Use the drainage tap at the bottom to empty Megaflow.
3. Recharge air gap with knob on side.
4. Close drainage tap
5. Turn cold water back on.

My only query is whether the drainage tap should be left open when recharging air gap?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I need to recharge the air gap. Unfortunately, the Megaflow is below ground level.
I think I know what to do but need some advice before I attempt it...

1. Turn cold water tap off to Megaflow.
2. Use the drainage tap at the bottom to empty Megaflow.
3. Recharge air gap with knob on side.
4. Close drainage tap
5. Turn cold water back on.

My only query is whether the drainage tap should be left open when recharging air gap?

Thanks

Yup, drain valve & open hot taps. Turn on the T&P valve as instructed. This is a Homeowners job &no requirement for a G3 qualification

Thanks PullerGas.
It took ages to drain but now no more vibration noises!!
Working all fine.

Puller, why was it necessary to fully drain the cylinder?

Why could it not have just be drained from the T&PV ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks PullerGas.
It took ages to drain but now no more vibration noises!!
Working all fine.

Not nessary to drain the whole unit, just until it stops gurgling at the T&P.

My services are not free. £20 into a Child's charity box please. I was blessed with loving caring parents, unfortunately some poor wee souls are not so lucky.

Last edited:
Tony, that's a question befitting of a former luvvie at the BBC. The P&V introduces air into the unit to reform the bubble.

Yes, but yesterday at 5.02 pm you agreed with the OP when he listed his proposals including draining the whole cylinder from the bottom!

When I read it I thought you just wanted to make the DIYer have a hard time!

Seems he did too!

I always drain the complete cylinder in order to replenish air gap..
The higher the water temperature the faster the air gap will deplete.

Yes, but yesterday at 5.02 pm you agreed with the OP when he listed his proposals including draining the whole cylinder from the bottom!

Seems he did too!

Seems he did too!

You're right Tony I did miss the word 'empty'. Unfortunately, I was using Olive's readers at the time & completely missed it. So, as is my will, I completely blame my Gin soaked old trout of a wife.
She's going through a troublesome time at the minute, her pal from the Bridge Club has just ran off with our Parish Minister. So Olive is broken hearted about losing her chum.

I'm still very grateful to PullerGas. One good thing, I missed X factor whilst draining the Megaflow

Hope your Olive is OK and finds a new friend, maybe the Chirch Hall warden?

I'm still very grateful to PullerGas. One good thing, I missed X factor whilst draining the Megaflow

Hope your Olive is OK and finds a new friend, maybe the Chirch Hall warden?

Ah yes, the modern craze of the young; joining the ranks of the talentless morons that pass themselves of as celebrities.

Yes the Lady Olive is having a rough time, however, she is taking solace in 2 bottles of Gin a day.

I'm pleased you got sorted mate & seasons greetings to you & your family.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back