Recharging non-rechargeable batteries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I often read that there are special chargers that will recharge ordinary AA batteries " up to 10 times". Is it feasible to stick non-rechargeable AA alkaline batteries in a normal charger to get more out of them, or does this damage the charger?

Norsey

Sponsored Links
Because maybe, just maybe, they are the same and they can sell two rather than one.
So can you say what will happen if i try it? Either nothing, or ruin the charger?

Thanks for your comments.

Norsey

Sponsored Links
Or, option three: Ruin your face when they explode.

Definitely! No maybe about it THEY WILL EXPLODE DUMBASS!!!

READ THE LABEL ON YOUR CHARGER AND ON YOUR NON-RECHARGABLE BATTERIES!

Sorry for shouting but this message has got to get through to you!

Calm down Conny. I appreciate you come from Liverpool, but there was no need for that. I asked a question and got an answer.

Thanks everybody else.
My next project is to make some fireworks. The electriclty has gone off and I'm trying to do it by candle light. I've only got one eye these days and it's a bit tricky.

Norsey

not sure how the chargers for non-rechargables, IIRC its a pulsed charge so they dont get hot etc.

A normal charger will put out far too higher current, and too low voltage, true rechargable cells are only 1.2V, not 1.5 and alkalines etc are.

Over time, alkaline batteries are prone to leaking potassium hydroxide, a caustic agent that can cause respiratory, eye and skin irritation. This can be avoided by not attempting to recharge alkaline cells, not mixing different battery types in the same device, replacing all of the batteries at the same time, storing in a dry place, and removing batteries for storage of devices.

According to type either a steel or zinc outer shell will likely fail with any type of recharging and with so many rechargeable batteries now available it would be silly to risk the damage to health and equipment by recharging primary cells.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back