Reciprocating saw - cutting masonry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all.

I'll soon be cutting out a large opening in an existing brick wall. We had a builder install the steels before Christmas and now we're finally getting round to opening it up (which we'll be doing ourselves).

I've been looking at Stihl saws and the like, obviously hiring one as they're not cheap! As I've been looking into it more, I've seen a couple of suggestions for reciprocating saws with masonry blades.

My main question is, will your average reciprocating saw be powerful enough to cut through brick? I know there are blades available for masonry, however most of the saws seem to be around 1200W (as opposed to the Stihl saws which look to be upwards of 3kW).

Any suggestions on a cheap to mid-range saw that'll do the job?

Sponsored Links
Not ever having used the saw type you are suggesting I would have thought it would take an age to cut brick with one, probably just as quick to do it the old fashioned way with a lump hammer and bolster.

I've used my old green Bosch diyer ( not sure on wattage) and to a lesser extent my Ryobi cordless for cutting small openings. Using a purpose TC toothed masonry blade and also TC grit blades. Power has never been an issue

The bricks need to be relatively soft, and its best if the cut follows the line of the perp joints

But tbh, your better off with a bolster chisel and hammer

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back