Brick/masonry saw cutting bricks in half

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone got any advice regarding brick saws?

I have a large pile of used bricks and would like to have a brick paved base, around the 5 x 3m.
Been thinking I could cut the pile in half to double up on the amount of bricks available.

Been looking are hiring a proper brick (wet) circular saw for the weekend.
Something like these:

https://www.jewson.co.uk/tool-hire/...ting-equipment/toolhire-concrete-masonry-saws

How quickly does it take to cut a brick in half? are we talking seconds or minutes?

Sponsored Links
The blade will be charged for seperately, for that size area it will be around 400 brick cut in half, allow at least 2 mins per cut, the actual cutting will only take 20 secs but you have to stack them, get next brick etc also no fun cutting non stop, you also need waterproofs as you'll get soaked.
Brick cutting services may work out easier, in Manchester the one i use charge 50p per cut so around £200, but may also charge for pickup/delivery, doing it yourself may end up saving you less than £100 but take all weekend to do.

Would a paving block cutter work with domestic “ordinary” bricks?
Non paving bricks tend to get slippery.

Cheers guys.

Fortunately it’s undercover, open at the sides. I’ll dry cut the first few to see what I think, and go from there.

chibs

Sponsored Links
It is also worthwhile taking in to account that the wet cutter in your link is 67kg.

You may need to pay for delivery/collection and get someone to help you to set it up/move it.

4” grinder with decent blade would be cheaper, quicker and easier.Most brickies can break in half with a quick tap of a brick hammer .

I’d be tempted to make up a basic jig that the brick half sits in, allowing an angle grinder to swing down like a chop saw?
One decent groove may be all that is needed to create a fault line, so a full cut wouldn’t be needed.
An hour or two each night would do it

A bench saw is no faster than a hand held petrol saw, and the only advantage is a bench saw will give more accurate square cuts and less bending if you have loads to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back