Reciting power shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya all, I was "Ordered" by the wife to revamp the bathroom. this meant removing the old bath which had a power shower over head which drew cold water from the loft tank and hot water from the immersion heater.

to my surprise i found out the shower was wired to the cooker socket down stirs ??? ( Not by me ) Damn i thought this is wrong, anyways I'm reciting with a new shower tray and enclosure,

I have a new power shower which i have plumed in similar as before. Now to the power to the shower .... Its a Triton power shower rated at 240v and 120w the cable i bought is 2.5mm with a rating of 27Amps i got a PowerBreaker ( H92MP ) which has a 30mA trip.

the breaker is 13 amps the nearest power would be the immersion heater, but this is 20 Amps could i use this ?? the only other nearest option would be to use a downstairs 13 amp socket this would mean running the cable up on the outside wall to the bathroom.
any advice please ... Thanks

Sponsored Links
If there is no other power nearby, then use the lighting circuit. Upstairs lighting circuit normally has plenty of headroom for expansion (unless you're growing "herbs").

There isn't much headroom on an immersion circuit.

There may be other things you need to do to comply with the 17th edition, await further instruction.

I do wish you'd stop telling people to put everything on the lighting circuits...

put it on the immersion circuit.
it's highly unlikely that your immersion will be pulling 20A, and a 120W ( 0.5A ) addition is unlikely to plunge your whole house into darkness..

have a look in the WIKI for information on "supplimentary bonding" or "equipotential bonding"

I do wish you'd stop telling people to put everything on the lighting circuits...

I only done it once! Just now! :LOL:

It wouldn't do any harm.

In any case he has to mark the MCB with "+ shower"

Sponsored Links
I'm sure I've told you about the "put it on the lights" comments before...
might have been another steve...

put it on the immersion circuit.
it's highly unlikely that your immersion will be pulling 20A, and a 120W ( 0.5A ) addition is unlikely to plunge your whole house into darkness..

have a look in the WIKI for information on "supplimentary bonding" or "equipotential bonding"

I do wish you'd stop telling people to put everything on the immersion circuit...

I take your point about the load and I know the OSG isn't BS7671:2008, but it does say that an immersion should have its own dedicated circuit.

a dedicated immersion circuit would be 16A, as this has 20A, there's a little leeway..
also as the shower is dependent on the immersion heater and is of a relatively small size, I don't see any harm in putting it off the immersion circuit..
I wouldn't run loft sockets or such off it, but a related and sutably small load I don't have a problem with as long as it's fused down of course.

My pump is on the immersion circuit as 3A f/spur.

I've not used the immersion circuit for 12+ years. It is without any doubt the most unused circuit in anyone's house.

It's a back up for CH / HW boiler fail and let's be fair, gas it an always on service.
I know what the 17th says about dedicated circuit, but is is just a back up and I have no problem with added a spur with a 3a fuse to a 2.5mm radial fused at 20a.

There is chance that both an immersion and pump could be used simultaneously but it shouldn't matter on a 20a radial with standard immersion element.

Just to inject a bit of humour on a dull Sunday afternoon,
when I saw the title to this thread I thought I was going to see a reply like,

Power Shower,
Power Shower,
Power Shower,
Power Shower,
Power Shower,
Power Shower,

:( So disappointed!

:LOL: :LOL:

Just to inject a bit of humour on a dull Sunday afternoon,
when I saw the title to this thread I thought I was going to see a reply like,

Power Shower,
Power Shower,
Power Shower,
Power Shower,
Power Shower,
Power Shower,

:( So disappointed!

:LOL: :LOL:

Well I'm pleased i was able to bring some humour on a dull Sunday !!
anyways I've taken the advice and used the immersion, did the quick test thats recommended as in the "trip" and all working great... thanks alot everyone !!

Glad you weren't offended.
None meant.

Well done by the way and welcome to the forum. :LOL:

It is without any doubt the most unused circuit in anyone's house.
Not nessecarily. What if you have no gas heating? And the immersion is the only source of water heating? ;)

This used to be the case in our house. We had storage heating and a single immersion. ;)

how much hot water do you use? :eek:

mom has hers on for 2 hours in a morning, and a half hour about 3 and that does her for the entire day..
that's washing up 4 times a day and washing hands after 8-12 bathroom trips a day, plus whatever dad does..

how much hot water do you use? :eek:
me? why do you ask?

I probably get through a good 10 litres in the morning, filling the sink for my shave etc. Shower is lectric. Dont bath. We have a combi now. Had it a good 18 years too. Its still going strong, worcestor electronic 9.24. Its had 2 new diverters, thats it.

Our immersion wasn't insulated either. My dad tried to insulate it (i was only a baby then), but he must have insulated over the heater, so it kept overheating. Therefore it remained uninsulated. :rolleyes:

so you use 10L of hot water in the morning.. what about the rest of the day ( and how big is your bathroom sink? mine holds about 5L to the brim... don't need more than 2 inches of water in the sink anyway.. think of the environment.. ;) )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back