reclaimed brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi can i remove render off my breeze block wall and lay reclaimed bricks against the breeze blocks. i have an extension at the back of the house and feel this would look great as i have built walls in the garden with reclaimed brick. do i need to use bitumen on blocks first, do i leave a gap or just butt up. i guess i will need to tie both the breeze block and bricks together.
am i looking for a disaster with this idea. garry :?:

Sponsored Links
What are the bricks going to sit on? Dig down at the side of the breeze block and see if any sort of foundation exits. many lightweight extensions were built on thin concrete oversite ("back yard").
If there seems to be a decent overlap of a foundation of sorts, then have a go!
A damp course is needed aligned with the DPC, in the breeze block skin. I would drill the existing mortar courses and plug for some sort some sort of tie system for your new skin. it would be nice to instal some sort of insulation board, such a Celotex, but you will be short on your wall thickness, or it will fall of the foundations.
Frank

hi frank the extension is built on a concrete rafts and has a good overlap.
i am thinking of removing the render and applying a bituminous sealer to the block. i could get away with 25 mm polycrystalline sheets, however i do have good insulation in cavity. my worry i guess is water getting behind
bricks freezing expanding and well guess you know the out come.
ties are a great idea thanks. frank thank you for taking the time to reply your advise is valuable. garry

Sponsored Links
Could brick slips be an idea... or have you got the bricks already?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back