Recommend a Nail Gun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have a few projects in mind involving pallet wood, I already have a load I've reclaimed ready to use, first of which is a shoe storage unit, I need a gun that'll penetrate my pallet wood (typically 18-20mm) and about 10-15mm into the carcase, as that's an old bookcase so guess it needs to have the capacity to shoot something like 30mm nails. I won't be doing tons of stuff so budget is very important but I'm thinking for these kinds of projects it'll make them a breeze, not bothered about cordless, any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
I'm not saying this is the best tool for the job (with only a 32mm max nail length), but it is cheap enough to have a play with:

I have used one for a decent amount of stapling of underlay and carpet to a staircase, as well as the odd bit of furniture mending.
It's performed faultlessly for me and has a surprisingly satisfying action! :)

All depends on what you want to spend do you have a compressor or what batterie platform do you run on

I'm not saying this is the best tool for the job (with only a 32mm max nail length), but it is cheap enough to have a play with:

I have used one for a decent amount of stapling of underlay and carpet to a staircase, as well as the odd bit of furniture mending.
It's performed faultlessly for me and has a surprisingly satisfying action! :)
Thanks that's kinda where I was headed budget wise, naturally at this end of the budget there's very little choice anyway.

Sponsored Links
I once made the mistake of buying the Tackwise Duo 35

It is complete rubbish. The brads frequently get stuck down the side of the firing pin and the flex is stupidly short.

Ugh! Stapler/nailers!!! They all suffer from the same problem IMHO: in order to drive a narrow crown staple with a 6mm crown, they need a driving pin which is 5 to 6mm wide. Not a problem with staples, but it means that when you drive 18 gauge pins with a 1.2 to 1.5mm (max width) head they'll leave a very noticeable 5 to 6mm long "gouge" in your material around the top of every pin, because obviously if you are driving pins you want to drive the pin heads 1 to 2mm below the surface, allowing you to fill them neatly and unobtrusively (this is what you achieve with an 18 gauge pinner). A 5 or 6mm long x 1.5mm groove in your material is hardly going to be unobtrusive, even if filled, but that said the OP may be intending to wrap the finished item in velvet or paint it in Sandtex (I'm actually being serious, here), in which cases it really wouldn't matter

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up one of these Baukers linked to earlier in the thread, as predicted it does leaves a small indent but fires 32mm nails flush no problem. The step up from this is I guess at the minimum a £50 gun + a compressor however much they are so for £35 it's fine for what I have in mind. Time will tell I guess if it jams up or similar.

Picked up one of these Baukers linked to earlier in the thread, as predicted it does leaves a small indent but fires 32mm nails flush no problem. The step up from this is I guess at the minimum a £50 gun + a compressor however much they are so for £35 it's fine for what I have in mind.

A freind who used to have compressor based 18G guns and latterly a Dewalt cordless pin gun now has the Bauker for light duty. He seems to be happy with it.

Pallet wood is actually very soft, so control is better than power.

I nearly fell for the YouTube glamour of "thack, thack, thack, look how quick and easy this is" but just went for a push pin and hammer. It really is not much quicker or easier for a small number of projects or limited use - especially when having to deal with stuck brads.

I nearly fell for the YouTube glamour of "thack, thack, thack, look how quick and easy this is" but just went for a push pin and hammer.
Face it @^woody^ - at heart you're a Yorkshireman. That really is old school, although there's nowt wrong with old school IMHO. The (minor) problem is that nobody makes them any more, do they? So it's probably flea market or eBay, but not expensive - a couple of quid

Woden Rampin.jpg

That's an older wooden handled one (Woden). Later ones (Record, etc) tend to have plastic handles

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, same sort of tool. I'd forgotten that Crown make them - the only thing I don't like is the price (circa £20)

Face it @^woody^ - at heart you're a Yorkshireman. That really is old school, although there's nowt wrong with old school IMHO. The (minor) problem is that nobody makes them any more, do they? So it's probably flea market or eBay, but not expensive - a couple of quid

View attachment 276269

That's an older wooden handled one (Woden). Later ones (Record, etc) tend to have plastic handles
What size batteries does this take?:sneaky:

On a busy day, it used to require three Shredded Wheat - plus a leather glove to try to avoid the inevitable blister on the palm after you use it a few thousand times in a day. That's why I preferred the wooden handled ones "back in the day"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back