Recommend a new combi,also advice on questions to ask fitter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Time to get a new Combi fitted (currently have a Potterton Lynx thats on its last legs)

Some previous research I did on here threw up the following:

Popular safe options are:

1) Valliant - Seem to be popular on here, and recommended above the Worcester. What are the reasons why they are better? 5/7yr warranty depending on model I go for.

2) Bosch Worcester - Market leaders, large support network and less chance of lack of parts in the future.
5 year warranty on Heat Exchange

other options interesting me:

1) Intergas - Seem to get loads of praise on here for the simplified design. However I am wary of the issue of a potential lack of parts or support in the future if anything goes wrong with it. Also I am limited to who can fit them, so restricted on shopping around for price of fitting.
10yr warranty on heat exchange, and potential 3yrs on parts ifs tempting though.

2) Atag - Saw these recommended in the forum too, but havent found out much about them. Whats good about them? Couldn't see anything on the website about warranty available.

3) Glow worm - Looking at the fitter's website, they also offer this model, dont know much about it though.

I have a gas fitter coming to visit soon and thought id ask here first for opinions on the above, so Im a little more clued up before he comes.

I also need to get a couple of new rads in the house as some are rusting.

Whilst the boiler and rads are being replaced I thought it would be a good time to get some of the visible pipes to be buried into the wall.
Any idea of a guide on how much it would cost for a fitter to bury pipes into the wall?

Some of the pipes I want hidden run from the ceiling down a supporting wall of the house, would this cause any issues for stability of the wall?

Also, currently the old boiler timer / thermostat is positioned right next to the boiler in the kitchen, under an air vent... so pretty useless. To save rewiring costs and hassle, are there wireless thermostat solutions where a thermostat can be placed somewhere else (the hallway) and it communicates to main control panel and starts the boiler when needed?

Sorry if some of these questions are a bit trivial, but would appreciate any advice :)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You have done some reading but not enough otherwise you would have realised the Intergas has a FIVE year warranty if installed by an approved installer!

I would not advise choosing a boiler ( or an installer ) on the basis of the cheapest installation price!

Tony

You have done some reading but not enough otherwise you would have realised the Intergas has a FIVE year warranty if installed by an approved installer!

I would not advise choosing a boiler ( or an installer ) on the basis of the cheapest installation price!

Tony

I can only go on the information provided on the Intergas website:

http://www.intergasheating.co.uk/si...&intergas_lijsten_Produkten_detail=29&catid=7

Combi Compact HRE 24/18

Technical specifications:
SEDBUK Band A
No diverter valve or valve motor
No hot water plate heat exchanger
No air pressure switch
Less parts, more reliability
Almost no standby losses
Horizontal and vertical flue options
Possibility to install the central heating system apart from the hot water system
10 year warranty on heat exchanger
2 year warranty on parts
3 year warranty on parts, subject to return of the warranty card

Are you saying there is a 5yr warranty on parts if installed by an Intergas engineer?

Im not saying cheapest is always best.

The fitter today has been recommended by a work mate, is Gas Safe etc. Has said because he knows us he will try to provide us a discount. (yes im sure many say this, but he has already said he will easily beat one of the basic quotes ive obtained).

I dont personally know any Intergas fitters, so not likely to get any 'mates rates' from them.

So if im having to pay a fair bit extra for the Intergas, its going to have to be considerably better than the others.

[/b]

Why can he fit it so much cheaper the a base quote you have tho ?

Is it because he is dog rough? Did your friend recommend him because he was cheap?

Ask if he arrived on time, left your home cleaner than when he arrived,fitted a quality boiler with all neat pipe work. Etc etc

Sponsored Links
the most important question is will he service it annually...if he doesn't he wont care how it is installed....

intergas aren't expensive?

cheaper than gloworm ,baxi, worcester and vaillant in my neck of the woods.
and better IMO.

there are cheaper boiler that do the same job, but those customers would probably be better off with a different type of installer. not me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back