Made a shortlist for replacement combi boiler, thoughts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive tried to do as much research as possible to try find a replacement for my ageing Potterton Lynx.

I have a gas safe fitter doing the job, but is isnt linked to either brand (so wont get any extended warranties, just the standard ones mentioned below)

I have picked out the following, and left a note with my reasons (costs include fittings and boiler cost):

WORCESTER-BOSCH Greenstar 28CDi = £1250

- Has a Stainless Steel Exchange compared to aluminium ones used in lower models
- 5 year Boiler Guarantee
- 10 year heat Exchange Guarantee
- Peace of mind of large support network, and low risk of shortage of parts in the future.

Cons
- Replacement parts can be pricey, more elements that can go wrong compared to the Intergas like model

Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 824 = £1219

- 5 year Guarantee
- Stainless Steel Exchange
- Large support network, and low risk of shortage of parts in the future.

Cons
- Replacement parts can be pricey, more elements that can go wrong compared to the Intergas like model

INTERGAS Combi Compact HRE 24/18 = £1051

- 10 year warranty on the heat exchanger
- 3 year warranty on parts/labour if warranty card registered
- Less parts to go wrong as used in above models
- Seem to get glowing reviews... cant really find any bad ones?
- Cheaper than the other alternatives.

Cons:
- It concerns me that parts may not be available in the future, and support from engineers if needed when warranty ends.

- Upon doing research, some of the parts used in the boiler are not without their issues when other brands have used same parts.

Having a bit of a dilemma on which one to go for, so would appreciate any input.

Cheers

[/b]

Sponsored Links
All Worcester models are alloy. Try not to get too emotional, it's only choosing a boiler, you're not deciding whether or not to emigrate to New Zealand.

Yeah I know... I'm probably thinking far too much into things.

I could of swore I read that the 28cdi had a stainless steel exchange though

Sponsored Links
Glowworm another option with very long warranties. Prefer them over the Worcester any day and nearly all the new ones have SS heat exchangers.

more importantly you've picked a 28kw boiler and 2 24kw boilers, so they're not evenly matched.

Really?

I've contacted all brands and got confirmation on them.

Ecotec plus have standard 5 yr warranty (7 if installed by vaillant advance installer)

Intergas 3yr parts and labour if send off warranty card.

Worcester seems correct too.

Go knows what the WB warranties are this week. I've given up monitoring them.

But IG is 5 years if fitted by Platinum. Vaillant 7 if by an advanced. I wouldn't bother getting a boiler fitted by an engineer that couldn't take full advantage of the extended warranties.

Apologies if my last reply sounded like I had the arse, I was out and on my mobile so had to be quick with my reply :)

Thanks for all your feedback, I think its likely a choice between the Vaillant and Intergas now.

Any other comments are welcome :)

Intergas every time, but You should look on their web site and get a platinum installer, (may even be one in your area in the forum)

I have 2 both 2.5 ish years and faultless.

In Fact Dan Robinson and Razor is quite close, would highly recommend both, looking at the map, you're surrounded by good guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back