Recommend a new shower arrangement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My current bathroom has a Triton Mimosa Dual Control Thermostatic Mixer Valve, which is hidden in the wall and tiled over.

The H / C supply T's to the bath and shower, after their individual service/ isolating valves, since the shower arm is installed over the bath.

I have had a few problems with the valve in the past and I was fortunate enough to buy 3 complete extra mixer valves when I bought it originally. They were marked down to £19 a piece so I got the lot.

Anyway, over the years, I noticed some issues with th original installation carried out by others whilst I worked away.

The holes drilled out of the mounting plate (used to fix the valve body in position, inside the wall) didn't have access to the filters (only to the control knob and the thermo cartridge). Consequently they clogged and I had to remove the whole valve through a rear access pannel that we installed on the opposite side of the wall, to clean the filters.

Additionally, the rear entry fitting, for the shower arm, screws into an elbow, however, there is too much space behind the elbow, meaning that when you screw the adaptor in and try to then attach the shower arm, it doesn't fully push the fitting in, as we have since tiled the bathroom wall.

The access panel at the back is only just big enough to get a shifter in to loosen the fittings, so I really have to take my time with it.

I have had a cartridge change and a whole valve change in the past and I am just sick of doing this much work on the bathroom.

So, since there is a wealth of knowledge on here, I am looking for a better design, best value for money shower system, something that is tried and tested, with good asthetics and easy to service / repair if nessasary.

I am not a plumber, but I am handy enough to install the whole thing myself.

Cheers in advance,

T

Sponsored Links
I was just about to suggest an Aqualisa digital, then clicked on muggles' link. Had mine about ten years now with no problems. Easy to fit, no heavy cabling required.

Sponsored Links
Bar showers are easy to repair/replace and Grohe is a decent make. Good idea to solder joints in wall and would suggest a bar shower wall fixing kit to get the pipe centres spot on and avoids using those ridiculous angled connectors.

avoids using those ridiculous angled connectors.

Are you talking about "S connectors"?

Yeah, they did look a bit dodgy on the exploded view, I was planning on using their mounting bracket anyway, it would be a better job that way.

I think it will be about this time next year that I will rip the old system out and fit the new shower. When I do I will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for the info,

T

Whatever floats your boat...

Sorry to make you go over what you have already said, but, what is the defining line for HP and LP systems?

Mines is about 1.5 > 2 barg (according to the PG on my combi boiler)

http://www.mirashowers.co.uk/onlinecatalog/detail.htm?productNumber=1.1836.006&section=Mixer%20showers&resultPageKey=2000826190-0&category=

The pressure on your combi is the system pressure, not the hot water pressure.

So do you mean I need a shower based on my hot water pressure?

A bar shower is basically just a tap. Buy a decent make and your pressure will be fine as you have a combi.

Yes those 's' angled connectors are a pain in the ass and you are never really sure if they have been disturbed when fitting and could be leaking.

I have used the fixing kit a few times now and find that they really speed up the job and there are no leaks possible behind the fitting

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bristan-bar-valve-wall-mount-11-fixing-kit-chrome-plated/58495

Just a quick one for everyone who gave me advise.

Thank you all and I very much appreciate all of it.

I replaced the old concealled shower (Triton Mimosa) with a new shower exposed thermostatic bar mixer shower (Grohe Euphoria 27 420) and it works a treat.

Apart from the obvious brick work, tiling and boarding that I had carried out to finish the walls etc, I used a Grohe wall bracket to fix the bar to.

Easy as pie, and I even changed a bit of old plumbing under the bath whilst I was there.

The longest part of the job was waiting for the adhesive and the grout to set and dry on the tiles.

The missus loves it.... happy days :D

For anyone thinking of carrying out work similar to this.... do as much research on the shower and your system compatibility well in advance of buying it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back