Recommend me a boiler

the glowworm 30cxi is probably in my opinion about one of the worst of the new generation condensing combis.
They have continual problems with the siphon system of condense disposal, the seals at the back of the heat ex also fail on regular basis, as does the cartridge on the diverter valve I change on average 3 or 4 of these a week, the filling taps also jam in the closed position on a regular basis, we have started fitting the good old external filling loop to overcome this problem.
Would I have one in my house, not a chance you`d have to pay me first.
my recommendation would be the vailant ecomax,very reliable boiler.

Sponsored Links
Tony you don't judge a man vis a vis whether he is a good friend or not by whether he powerflushes his combi swaps. You need to get out a little.

If he is a good friend then you should educate him into installing boilers properly, meaning charging a proper price and doing the work properly.

The trouble is I do get out a lot ! I go to many new installations where the installer has fitted a boiler onto a dirty system and I have to explain to the householder that the installer has not done the job properly.

Having said that, the householder is often partly to blame for not agreeing to pay for powerflushing. I even saw a benchmark certificate where it had been noted that the client had refused the power flush.

I would never instal a boiler if I was not permitted to power flush. In my view no bona fide installer should ever do so. It just brings our profession into disrepute.

tony

Yes well he's sort of senior to me, 25 years with BG then last 7 years in his own, thinks he's best thing since sliced bread and isn't going to take any truck from me. But he does x400 all his isntallations for 4 weeks either before the old boiler comes out or after the new one went in depending on circumstances. He doesn't posess a powerflush.

He charges 1400 (incl vat) for a combi swap using these old potty 30kwhe combis, and if someone gave him one of the new potty's he wouldn't use it. Very set in his ways, but if he's fitted 50 without a single problem (and whatever you say about him he is as honest as the day is long so he wouldn't lie about that) who can blame him.

And my point was mainly to demonstrate the excellence of the product and of Baxipotty Heatteam for both speed of response and non didactic attitude.

I can understand you come across a lot of cowboy instalations we are allways tripping up over them too, and where the boiler is the cheapest thing off the shelf at the shed no wander the customer then goes for the cheapest installation quote, you are doomed to a load of sludged up boilers.

Come to think of it I could maybe do to get a service contract like that up here.. the Ariston one is already taken, that's the best one, but I wonder who handles Biasi?

Sponsored Links
Why not lend him your power flush machine and let him see just what it will do.

I did a power flush for a friend recently. I thought it hardly needed one as the water looked pretty clear. On flushing it disturbed all the sediment and it all came out dark coffee coloured.

At least he puts X400 in the system but you could suggest he tries Ferroquest. It works better and only takes a few days if left in the system.

Dont get too excited about boiler warrantee contracts, you go as many times as required for £35 to £40 once off. Someone told me they had to tip toe out after fixing the boilers in case they developed another fault.

Tony

If the water looked clean and doesnt come out dirty after a normal hot/cold flushing process, then why will it shift just because a new boiler is fitted,
surely it will stay where it is and be no problem.

Because it can, it seems. I just put a magnetic cleaner on a clean looking system. After a fortnight it had collected more than enough to affect a plate heat exchanger.
OTOH I put a filter on a big old system which hadn't been disturbed but definitely had sludge in the rad bottoms (owner was a pro chemical engineer and wanted it left there, as you suggest). The filter collects a couple of tiny flakes a month. WHether finer stuff is getting through I don't know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back