Recommend me a boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, apparently I need a new boiler. The current one I have is a Glow Worm Energy Saver 50. Can some one recommend me an equivalent? And also approx. cost? Thanks. :)

Sponsored Links
sywy, it isn't safe to assume that your Glowworm was suitable, so you need to describe your system before anyone can make a recommendation.

Erm, I don't know anything about plumbing etc.
I live in a 4 bed det. house, from new, about 7 yrs old.
The current boiler was in the house from new.

As far as I know, the current boiler is a condesing combi? So far we have had BG quote us £2391 (which inc. £300 discount!!) for a replacement boiler (didn't specify the make) and a local independent £1650 for a Glow Worm CXI (seems there are different models, but I don't recall him saying which one). Is the CXI a good boiler. The few posts I've found on this boiler seem to think it's an OK boiler.

sywy said:
Erm, I don't know anything about plumbing etc.
No problem - see how many of the items listed under the reference topic that you can provide. You'll find it here.

Sponsored Links
1) Boiler make / model (gas or oil)
Glow Worm energysaver 50 (gas)

2) What is / is not happening
It's leaking!! Intermittently.

3) Has ANYTHING else been done / changed recently
No

4) When did it (problem) start
2 or 3 weeks ago.

5) When does it happen? eg, heating coming on or going off
No idea. It's when the heating is on. But sometimes it leaks, sometimes it doesn't.

6) Anything else you feel may be of relevance
BG have looked at it and said it needs a new heat exchanger and a new fan, but not worth the money to fix, so recommend a new boiler.

Have you got a BG maintenance contract? If so, it may be that BG are trying to get out of repairing the boiler under contract by saying you need a new one. The £300 discount is just bull$h1t.

Get a second opinion three at most and see if its repairable as its only seven years old.
If it is a steamer a fan usually can be changes very quickly and depending on your boiler if your lucky maybe 4 hrs for the exchanger lot less money than you've been quoted.
And before anybody says I am being optimistic. But I have done a boiler change in 2.5 hrs new faulty one out and new replacement in and commisioned. Don't laugh BAXI 100/he

chrishutt said:
Have you got a BG maintenance contract? If so, it may be that BG are trying to get out of repairing the boiler under contract by saying you need a new one. The £300 discount is just bull$h1t.

Unfortunately, my wife tried to con them into it :LOL:
The boiler started leaking, so she thought she'd sign up for a maint. contract. However, they don't cover you until the have an initial inspection, to make sure everything is in working order. Obviously, as our boiler was leaking, they would not cover us, until we get it fixed. I was there when they opened it up, and it was pretty rusted up inside.

cozzmic said:
But I have done a boiler change in 2.5 hrs new faulty one out and new replacement in and commisioned. Don't laugh BAXI 100/he

How do you manage to change a boiler AND powerflush the system in only 2.5 hours ???

Tony

New boiler was two month old and the system had been flushed then it was a straight replacement just part drain, reconnect existing pipework and flue test and commission, oh and test the concentration of the inhibitor and top up if necessary.

I did one yesterday in that Time the Potty 30kw HE combi, I was really fortunate that the pipes were in the right order just needed a double set on each one.

However I had fully powerflushed the system the day before which took all afternoon and was a freebie because it was part of the process of ensuring that their piece of sh1t boiler was that and that it wasn't a blockage in the pipework, so they got that bit for free.

I did have to go back today though to run the condensate properly (not just into a bucket as it was overnight, and to install a room stat).

Of course tonight I have to GWN it and then that's me done.

Mate of mine has fitted 50 of these Potty's this year and only problem he's had is two screws missing on one boiler. Last year he called Heatteam out to one boiler only, pump was clogged up with sludge, they never said a word to him, just dutifully changed pump and pcb were curteous to him and his customer and came next day.

Consequently I've stated to use them for economy customers; my better customers get the Buderus, despit ethe fact Worcester engineers are taking a week to get to a Buderus at this time of year, are all puffed up about themselves, and are not so charitable if I did something like left a load of sludge in a system.

If they don't sharpen up their act I'll convert all my customers to Potty's.

"""Mate of mine has fitted 50 of these Potty's this year. Last year he called Heatteam out to one boiler only, pump was clogged up with sludge, they never said a word to him, just dutifully changed pump and pcb were curteous to him and his customer and came next day. """

I am surprised that you are a "mate" to someone who is installing boilers without power flushing the system. It brings our profession into disrepute.

If Potty change the pump for free then it just puts up the cost for conscientous installers.

Tony

7 years old and nakked, and we were told condensing boilers were going to save us all a load of money, I knew all along it was bolllokks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back