recommend me a electric shower

i have five showers on all supplied directly from an unvented hot water cylinder in the garage. Best setup I’ve had yet. I also have a single 9.5kw electric, there is no comparison. In Ireland 60A is still standard with 100A supplies uncommon (except my 125A 3-phase - great to be in the business) Yes, as you can imagine these 60A fuses are often carrying over 100A but surprisingly enough this doesn’t pose a huge problem in most cases.

Sponsored Links
You run a three-phase into your house?! Cool!

How easy is it to get them to do that? Do you pay much more for installation charges or service charges? Do they still charge you on the same tarriff as a single-phase supply (seeing as three-phase is intended more for business and industry!)

What do you do once the three phases are in? Are you treating each phase separately and distributing circuits across individual phases or are you putting it through a 3-1 phase transformer then into a standard CU?

generally not very easy, i happened to be beside the trafo and hence was simple enough to do. I also work with esb here (design end of things, but i know the electricians) well so that sorted it! ESB workers are exempt from the standing charge so i don't know but it would be considerable. I have since purchased various pieces of three-phase equipment for my garage so I’m putting it to some use. I have a 3-phase distribution board supplying everything. The garage is a separate supply from the meter.

I am currently trying to design a device which will sense the load on each phase and chose the phase with the least loading to power each circuit.(it's actually a lot more complicated than that) This is in an attempt to balance the phases. (Completely a hobby that’s becoming terribly time consuming!)

The Germans have three phase running into their house. They use it whenever they can, a lot of fans are three phase there, and all of the ovens are... but that's probably because you only get a 16 or 20 amp per phase supply.....

Sponsored Links
Personally I would like to see 3-phase supplies run into new houses.

OK, so some might say that this invites more danger than with our current single phase installations. However, many people who would bodge their single phase electrics might think twice before touching anything 3-phase.

Obviously in my idea 3-phase would only be run to fixed appliances, e.g. HVAC systems, ovens, possibly with a few 3-phase sockets in the garage for the budding engineer.

Anyone fool enough to mess with the 3-phase without knowing what they were doing would be ensuring an increase in the average intelligence of the nation. Some sort of "opt-in" eugenics I suppose :LOL:

AdamW said:
Personally I would like to see 3-phase supplies run into new houses.

OK, so some might say that this invites more danger than with our current single phase installations. However, many people who would bodge their single phase electrics might think twice before touching anything 3-phase.

No they wouldn't - anybody who bodges electrics wouldn't have a clue what 3-phase was. They'd already be ignorant of so much, what's a bit more?

Yes... I can just imagine it...

Joe Clutz said:
This red wire must be live, and if its anything like in plugs this blue one is neutral... So this yellow one here must be Earth!
Yeah, okay I haven't used harmonised colours!

Then it'd be...

Joe Clutz said:
This black one must be neutral like i've seen... And if it's like in plugs, then this brown one is the live, so the grey one must be earth...
[/quote]

ZenStalinist said:
Joe Clutz said:
This black one must be neutral like i've seen... And if it's like in plugs, then this brown one is the live, so the grey one must be earth...
leccy2.gif

OK, so you will always get some fool who just makes assumptions without looking any further into the situation... Hmmmm, 13A plug on a 3-phase appliance! Sounds fun!

AdamW said:
Anyone fool enough to mess with the 3-phase without knowing what they were doing would be ensuring an increase in the average intelligence of the nation. Some sort of "opt-in" eugenics I suppose :LOL:

You can't argue with that though ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back