Recommend me a good oil boiler..

I prefer the Worcesters to the Grants.

Slightly more reliable, in my experience, and we get a longer warranty.

The only problems we've had with them in the last 5 yrs have been the burners, all Reillo. And of course, if you buy a Grant, you get a Reillo too.

Personally I prefer the Camray to the Greenstar; if you fit the combi it is downward firing only, which can necessitate a tiger loop due to the burner height, which is a pain.

I don't mind Grant, but don't like them using subbies for warranty.

I also didn't like all their arguing when the Reillo oil pump fiasco kicked off, over liability. We had local subbie competitors all trying to blame us for oil supply/quality issues for pump failures, and Grant denying a problem. We investigated becoming a Grant warranty agent (we could go and badmouth our competitors too!) but the rates they were paying were way too low to be on my radar.

Meanwhile, whilst arguing with Grant over the poor warranty response, I was sitting in the office looking at a letter from Worcester apologising in advance for any burner faults and suggesting it was a Reillo burner pump issue; they were promising full support and next day swappage while they investigated the problem.

That experience tarnished our Grant relationship. I wasn''t a great fan of Worcester-Bosch but their honesty and unswerving support of both us and our customers won me over.

Yes the Worcesters are a pain to install and service, but I want the best in warranty (5yrs) support for my customers and myself - and Worcester provide this. Same story as their gas stuff basically.

Worcester know that as an installer I spend most of my day installing. I can't just drop everything with Mrs Jones' boiler in the garden and a big hole in the kitchen and drive to the other end of the county to fix an oil pump, so I value their help and support.

People who fix boilers will have a different angle on this. They don't like manufacturers sending out their own staff, it affects their livelihood.

I'm just trying to give a bit of balance.

NB: Who has had an old style Grant turbulator snap in the HEX? Or found condense leaking from the gasket under the flue top hat connector where it has shrunk... and rusted the boiler casing? Or perhaps twisted baffles that you need a crowbar to remove? Nothings perfect...

Sponsored Links
Yes the Worcesters are a pain to install and service,.....

That does not speak very highly of them as a product to recommend.

Worcester know that as an installer I spend most of my day installing. I can't just drop everything with Mrs Jones' boiler in the garden and a big hole in the kitchen and drive to the other end of the county to fix an oil pump, so I value their help and support.

I suppose that type of business "partnership" might be ok, but as they are a pain to service, few independants want to do it so Worcester get the work (and it has to be done to maintain the warranty), and their charges are comparatively high for servicing.

i do give worcester there due when it comes to customer service and thats all. but as far as boiler design. they are shocking. thats why i stick with grant for oil. and viessmann or vaillant for gas. i look at the future when all these guarantees are either worthless or ended. and something needs repairing sensibly. don't get me wrong grant have there probs. but still a better build quality. thats my opinion anyway but we all do have our own views. give me an old trianco redfyre anyday. but now condensing rules came out, which is pointless on oil fired equipment, due to the good efficieny anyway. we will probably see more repairing on oil boilers. and the oil these days don't help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back